The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
hpurey

Full Length Header suggestions

Hey guys,

I have a 71 C20 2wd with a set of full length headers on it but the driver side is rotted where the primaries gather at the collector.

Looking to replace them with something not too expensive for the time being so I can at least drive it until I can get some good ones. The motor is basically stock but since there are already full lengths on there with fresh exhaust from the header back I would like to just replace these for now.

Suggestions please, price range below $300. I tried searching the site but keep finding posts that have links to headers but are too old to view them. Either they are to the summit site but the page has changed to a different part or ebay listings that are too old and no longer viewable.

I am concerned with spark plug and header bolt access. The plugs are not angled, if that helps any.

Thanks ahead of time,
Hazen
hpurey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
hpurey

Re: Full Length Header suggestions

Well, I went with a set of Hookers from summit, will like to go for coated ones somewhere in the future but for now these will have to do.

What do you guys think of these www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2452HKR/
hpurey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
jrmdigger72

I went with the Hookers just like you got from Summit. No prolbems with spark plugs or bolts. Worked well for me.
jrmdigger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

To me the only thing that stinks about the Hooker Comps for these trucks is that they are only available with 2 1/2" collectors. So I went with Hedman Hedders for a 3" collector.

No probs on plug wires or nothin'.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
BIGKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpurey View Post
Hey guys,

I have a 71 C20 2wd with a set of full length headers on it but the driver side is rotted where the primaries gather at the collector.

Looking to replace them with something not too expensive for the time being so I can at least drive it until I can get some good ones. The motor is basically stock but since there are already full lengths on there with fresh exhaust from the header back I would like to just replace these for now.

Suggestions please, price range below $300. I tried searching the site but keep finding posts that have links to headers but are too old to view them. Either they are to the summit site but the page has changed to a different part or ebay listings that are too old and no longer viewable.

I am concerned with spark plug and header bolt access. The plugs are not angled, if that helps any.

Thanks ahead of time,
Hazen
What engine do you have and what mods if any have you done? If its a stock 350 the summit 1 1/2 primary set would do you just fine!
BIGKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i found that cheap headers are more of a pain in the a$$ ,gaskets gets blown out ,warp flange just my 2 cents is get some real good decent headers ,i went with hooker super comp coated headers with percy gasket set ,it wasnt cheap but im happy and im not on the cardboard on the concrete floor changing gaskets

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Super Comps are the best. Once I get the cash for a set... that's what will be in my truck as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote