The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
Moarplease

Ironing out the kinks

I picked up my '65 GMC early this spring. It has been a great summer and I have been enjoying driving it once I deemed it road worthy (stopped the aggressive oil leak).

Here are a couple shots of it. Maybe you saw it on that auction site as that where I bought it from....

It has been enjoyable fixing things and personalizing the truck. As I found tonight I wish the suspension and steering were stock when I got it so that I could know exactly what i did to it with the parts I chose to do so. I goes down the road great at this point. I installed some new shocks over the weekend and grabbed the steering shaft and gave it a twist while my head was in the wheel well. I noticed the rag joint had excessive play to the point one of the hole in the disc is likely slotted or torn. No bid deal....come on here and find the seemingly easy solution and excellent pictorial posted some time ago out of TX. Some gear box pictures were catching my eye as I looked for the answer of how to remove the intermediate solid steering shaft. And then a power steering upgrade required the cutting of the stock shaft to shorten it......BINGO! My shaft is an original, solid, and uncut shaft an I have power steering! Yes whomever installed it just pushed it far enough forward to make the shaft work at the stock length.

Not angry as I tend to expect these things, but it takes time to find what is wrong sometimes when you A) don't expect it, and B) the signs are minute.

I just ordered a bracket from CaptainFab and will sort it out, recheck the toe, rebuild the rag joint and install my sway bar!

Here is a blurry (sorry) picture of how far foreward it is...

Here is a shot where you can see the idler arm on the other side, I am not perfectly square to the truck taking the picture, but they should be equidistant form the crossmemember I beleive so it should be at least somewhat hiding behind the pitman arm in the pic....

Adam
Moarplease is offline   Reply With Quote