The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
70LonghornCST

Tach Question

I recently installed an American Auto Wire engine compartment harness. I then talked, by chance, to a tech that helped design the harness, and he said that I will need to run an inline tach filter if using the factory tach in order to get the proper RPM readings since I am using an HEI distributor. Has anyone who has installed the American Auto Wire harness come across this problem. I have not yet installed the new cluster with the tach into my truck so I am not sure what reading I will get. What do you think? I'd hate to be hasty and run out to purchase a tach filter only to find out that I did not need it.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal

Last edited by 70LonghornCST; 05-01-2009 at 03:37 AM.
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Re: Tach Question

I don't have the wiring harness you speak of but my factory tack plugs right to the cap on my hei and doesn't have anything to do with the wiring harness in the dash or under the hood.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
70LonghornCST

True, but the battery part of the harness plugs into the HEI and may have an effect on the spikes in voltage, possibly. I guess I should have been more clear.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal

Last edited by 70LonghornCST; 05-01-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

sounds like you spoke to more of a salesman than a tech.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 05-01-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
70LonghornCST

Actually, he's an electrical engineer. I am looking for someone here with actual experience that has used the "American Auto Wire" harness. American Auto Wire does not sell the inline tach filter, and I had purchaed the harness 2 years before talking to him, so, no, he was not trying to sell me anything except one NOS Woodgrain Longhorn molding.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

We have hundreds of guys here who have wired up straight from the HEI to the tach. The maker of the wire doesn't matter one bit, its still copper strands wrapped in plastic/rubber/poly cover. Guys have been hooking them up like this since the late 70's.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
70LonghornCST

Thank you Longhorn Man. I do know that they work with factory wires, and one would assume that they would work. However, unless you have actually hooked up this exact harness up, then you cannot help me. I appreciate your oppinion, though, but I am looking for someone who has actually purchased an American Autowire harness and hooked it up to an HEI distributor and OEM tach.

Anyone?
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

For what it is worth my 83 monte SS had a tach filter that went bad and I got a new one from the local chevrolet dealer.........maybe a good source for one. I dont know the purpose of it and I cant help with your question either. Is the factory wire a resistor wire and maybe the aftermarket wire is not ??????? Hmmmmmmmm

Tommy
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

factory is not, it's just a wire.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
70LonghornCST

http://www.americanautowire.com/faq/?p=400
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
cparman
sharp as a marble

Longhorn man, I am not looking for a fight, but do you remember on the late 70 Corvettes there was small square transistorized gizmo the bolted to the intake manifold near the hei distributor? I know I am old as crap, but think I remember that having something to do with the tach?? Maybe this is what the guy is talking about? I too would like my tach to read accurately, I have a very long 5 mile drive to work, and I REALLY need to know how many RPM i am turning while driving 25 MPH on Seminole Rd. ha ha
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
70LonghornCST

I went to the website and found the link above. It appears that what they are claiming is this:

"HEI and other electronic distributors create a different signal or pulse then do original points style distributors. For this reason, your OEM tach that was circuited to read the latter, does not recognize and cannot read the signal it’s receiving from the newer style distributor. The fix for this situation is to purchase a tach filter or interface device. They are available through several aftermarket manufacturers. They can be found on most GM cars in junkyards that have factory tachs in them. The factory style filter looks like a condenser with a wire and connector on each end, one of which plugs onto the HEI distributor, and the other onto the tach lead wire. Hooking this filter device in series between your distributor and tach should allow your factory tach to work in harmony with your new electronic distributor."

So, in retrospect, it appears that what they are claiming is that it is the HEI, not the wire itself. So, Longhorn Man is certainly correct there. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to hook it up and see. I'll be back in a day or two to let you know the results.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

Im wrong.......I was thinking about the coil wire being a resistor wire and having to run a new power wire to the coil on the HEI , not the tach.....oops.....Im not sure of the reason you would need the tach filter, But I know my 83 Monte Carlo SS tach wouldnt work without it , It had all factory components in it too, HEI and all, I believe my later corvette had it also.......
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

I guess the factory tach in my 71 hasn't worked correctly in the last 20 years then!
I have no filter on it and it works fine. I don't know what could be in the harness or the HEI to make it not work correctley.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
Longhorn Man

I don't know anything about the corevettes, I just know that I've hooked up 6 or 7 stock tachs to HEI with nothing but a wire, and have never had an issue, I know guys have been doing this since I was still in diapers, and as far as acurate, a stock tach wasn't very acurate back in the day... nor are the repro ones.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #16
leddzepp

FWIW, my stock tach is hooked up with nothing but a wire to the HEI. I also have a 700R4, and my gauges read real close to Andy4639's. I suspect he has slightly higher (numerically) gears than I do. I have 3.08.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 05-02-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added info
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

I have the 4:10 gear set in mine. I'm not claiming anything about the tach except what I know and I have hooked up at lest a half dozen and never had a problem. They aren't that acrurate as stated but they are nice to have. The factory shop manuals don't say anything about a filter either.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 05-02-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #18
Mthird

Thank you to everybody that answered to this post.... I have been planning on purchasing a complete dash cluster for My 71 C-10 and I wanted to buy the one with the factory tach. it said in the description, cannot be hooked up to an HEI distributor, which kinda turned me off to putting a factory tach in it, cause im not getting rid of my HEI, this brings hope to my situation....
Mthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I don't know for sure about US Autowire, I haven't purchased the tach harness from them specificly. However I have from M&H and after looking at some of US Autowire's harnesses and compairing them to M&H's harnesses I suspect they are the same. However I am not absolutly possitive on this point. I do know that M&H (as well as us) sell a tach harness that has been converted to plug strait into the GM style HEI distributer. I have installed them, used them, and they work without any issues. The only problems that I have found is with the aftermarket tachs. Some of them have the "V" shape of the terminals flipped upside down. Causing the tach to be wired backwords. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
Skirkpat

Don't know about tach's but I do know that when we ran amplifiers, you would run a filter, did'nt have to but it sure worked better when we did. It may have something to do with electrical "noise" from the HEI? unless it is expensive it might be worth while to follow the instructions? Just my.02
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
Huck

A few years back, one of the members (an engineer) of web site Colorado K5 did an analysis of factory tach's hooked up to both stock ignition and then to HEI. He came up with the signal wave length of the HEI was different then the stock ignition and he recommended some kind of filter.
AND NOW A TASTE OF REALITY---I HAVE PERSONALLY INSTALLED DOZENS OF FACTORY TACH'S IN BOTH STOCK AND HEI IGNITION AND THE DIFFERENCE IS SO SMALL YOU CAN'T REALLY TELL. I have also tested them against a new fully electronic tach for a test of accuracy---the factory tach is not as smooth or as accurate when installed in either original ignition or in HEI ignition. The factory tack is not fully electronic---it has a mechanical component that is influenced by temperature, dirt, vibration etc.
So if you want to run a new dash cluster with an old styple tach--if the tach is good, it will work fine with HEI ignition (relatively speaking). It's accuracy will be close enough for most drivers--giving rpm within a very small % or accurate (probably less then 3%deviation).
I have sold probably 30-40 Tach Dash's with never a problem due to relative accuracy. Further note---the factory had at least 4 different tach designs installed in their 67-72 trucks --I know because I disassemble evey one and inspect it before I sell it.
If you want to pursue a filter for greater accuracy, go to ColoradoK5 and do a search on Tach accuracy and perhaps the writeup is still around. One more thought, the wiring harness has basically nothing to do with the tach connection which comes directly off the distributor coil. When you change over to HEI, you do require a heavier gauge wire from the ignition but assuming the new harness you are buying is correctly built for HEI---you should be good to go.
Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #22
70LonghornCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
A few years back, one of the members (an engineer) of web site Colorado K5 did an analysis of factory tach's hooked up to both stock ignition and then to HEI. He came up with the signal wave length of the HEI was different then the stock ignition and he recommended some kind of filter.
AND NOW A TASTE OF REALITY---I HAVE PERSONALLY INSTALLED DOZENS OF FACTORY TACH'S IN BOTH STOCK AND HEI IGNITION AND THE DIFFERENCE IS SO SMALL YOU CAN'T REALLY TELL. I have also tested them against a new fully electronic tach for a test of accuracy---the factory tach is not as smooth or as accurate when installed in either original ignition or in HEI ignition. The factory tack is not fully electronic---it has a mechanical component that is influenced by temperature, dirt, vibration etc.
So if you want to run a new dash cluster with an old styple tach--if the tach is good, it will work fine with HEI ignition (relatively speaking). It's accuracy will be close enough for most drivers--giving rpm within a very small % or accurate (probably less then 3%deviation).
I have sold probably 30-40 Tach Dash's with never a problem due to relative accuracy. Further note---the factory had at least 4 different tach designs installed in their 67-72 trucks --I know because I disassemble evey one and inspect it before I sell it.
If you want to pursue a filter for greater accuracy, go to ColoradoK5 and do a search on Tach accuracy and perhaps the writeup is still around. One more thought, the wiring harness has basically nothing to do with the tach connection which comes directly off the distributor coil. When you change over to HEI, you do require a heavier gauge wire from the ignition but assuming the new harness you are buying is correctly built for HEI---you should be good to go.
Huck
Huck,
The tach harness I have has the coil connection. Are you saying that the harness designed for the old style coil connection may have a different gauge wire than one designed for an HEI? Or, are they the same, just possessing differnt end terminals?
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal

Last edited by 70LonghornCST; 05-02-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
Huck

The wire from the coil to the tach is not that critical for either the HEI or the original ignition system. Just use the tach wiring harness that comes with the tach gauge cluster or with your new custom wire harness.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #24
70LonghornCST

Well,
I finally got around to digging out the instrument cluster and checking out how the tach works without using a filter as suggested by American Autowire. All I got to say is that nothing beats the experience that is on this board. YOU GUYS ROCK. Thanks to all who posted. As you can see by my two pictures, the 1970 tach read 750 RMP at idle. When I compared this to my 2006 tach, which read 700 RMP, I can say that it's pretty much dead on.
Thanks again.
Attached Images

1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal

Last edited by 70LonghornCST; 05-10-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
Bluegrass

Ok I might be the one an only with a tach that is not working correctly after I installed an HEI dist. Guess I need to buy and try a filter.....my terminals on the back of the factory 1967 tach are "V" shaped...I have a repo tach harness from LMC....and everything plugs in nice and neat. I have made sure the polarity has not been reversed.
The tach reads low and erratic. Any ideas other than the filter that may or may not do the trick? Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote