The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
saskgreen

Transmission Swap question

Hey guys, I am sure this has been talked about lots before so perhaps a link or just info would be good. I currently have a sbc and a 3 on the tree. Looking to put in a rebuilt sbc and a different transmission. Looking at a TH350 or TH400.

Are either one of these a direct swap? I have the two piece drive shaft. Anything you would beef up on those transmission's prior to putting it in? Looking for basic install without to much modifications. Will be on a budget so figured one of those would be best, sure a 6 speed would be cool, but I believe the price goes up lol

Thanks in advance.
saskgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
earlthegoat2

Re: Transmission Swap question

You are going to want a TH350 most likely as they are available in the same length as your 3 speed so you wont have to change driveshaft length. Im not sure what size of tailshaft you are going to need though. Someone else will know.

By nature a manual to auto swap takes a few modifications. You need a trans cooler and you need to run and mount trans cooler lines from where you mount the cooler (in front of the radiator) back to the trans. Then you need a new steering column for a column shift (which would be my preference) or you can just take the shifter lever off your column and install a floor shifter.

Another thing to note: If the price is right, a Powerglide can also be a mighty fine transmission. The prices around me for them are pretty high though because dirt track racing is popular around here.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
saskgreen

Guess I should add it is a long box aswell. What are the lengths that TH350's come in, which one would allow me to keep my driveshaft?
saskgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
packsand

If you want you can call me...I just did this to my truck and just put it back on the road...it is a very easy swap....208-941-5962...wayne...the 3 on the tree was the worst...and i just did power steering also..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1328409793
Attached Images

packsand is offline   Reply With Quote