The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
GeorgeLeonard

New engine or new friend?

While checking out my newly acquired 53 3100, I noticed that I was unable to turn the engine over by hand. So I removed all the spark plugs and squirted liberal amounts of Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders. Using a pry bar on the flywheel loosened things up considerably. I then hooked up the starter and let the engine fly without the spark plugs. My friend asked me if all the Marvel Mystery Oil came spitting out the the spark plug holes when I spun it over. I had to honestly answer no, it didnt. He took that as a bad sign and reasoned that all the rings must be stuck and consequently the motor will have no compression. He advised me to stop right there and look for a replacement motor. What do you guys think? Replacement motor or replacement friend? Im not inclined to giving up on it just yet. Id like to get it started and go from there. Of course it goes without saying that I also dont like throwing good money after bad. What to do?

One interesting feature on this motor is a finned aluminum Offenhauser valve cover! Makes me really wonder what else might have been done to this engine- probably nothing but it doesnt hurt to dream. Ive already ordered a stock valve cover since an item like that will be just too pretty to keep on this truck- not in keeping with the overall theme. I imagine that once polished up it will be a real crowd pleaser which is not my style. I just want a nice drive around pickup, the stocker the better.
Attached Images

GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
hb32

Re: New engine or new friend?

Throw some plugs in it and fire her up...what have you got to loose??
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
rpmerf

I would at least try to get it running. no sense in trashing the engine if you never really tried to run it. You could run a compression test to see whats really going on in the cylinders.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
OrrieG

Run a compression test and check for electrical. If its been sitting for a while replace the gas (drain tank) and put in a good filter between the tank and fuel pump to catch the crud. Check oil and see if it fires up if compression is enough to start. It might come back to life. My 64 had been sitting for a while, smoked like crazy, made rattly noises for the first 100 miles than settled in and ran for 60K more miles. Since it broke loose that easily could just be a little condensation over time thru the intake and exhaust via open valves. I grew up with my old man and grandfather Orrie getting those old things running.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
GeorgeLeonard

Thats what I hoped. If I run it a little while maybe the rings will become unstuck. Probably it will smoke for a little while. I think I need new friends. Running a compression test on it now seems like a waste of time if Im going to run it for awhile anyway. After a 100 or so miles, if its still running like crap, Ill do a compression test and even if it fails then I may give it some more time.

This truck need so many things that putting off engine work will allow me to focus on other things- like brakes.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
solidaxel

I think your friends were trying to save you a large tow bill.
Good Luck
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
VWBeamer

Really, compression testers and such are for the rich and famous....who needs them. the proof is the pudding. if it starts, then has enough compression to run...and who needs more?

High compression = High test gas= High gas cost!

What if it burns a little oil, I'm sure all your rich friends change their oil in there trucks. More than likely they would be happy for you to have their old oil. Your truck would put it to good use, and it prevents you friends from improperly disposing of their used oil...keeping this old motor is just plump green. It's the right thing to do really.

When people tell me that my truck smokes, I simply remind them that it's old enough to do so. Sometimes they mention air pollution, but I say particulate emissions help block the suns rays and reduces the green house effect. Again, your curbing Global warming...think about it. If you change the motor for a rebuilt one you're going to damage the earth!

Clearly, you are correct in your thinking, I would encourage you to continue with your current plan of attack.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
mr48chev

Some of the Marvel Mystery oil is going to soak down through the rings. That is what it is intended to do when you squirt it in the cylinders.

If it spins over good with the starter I'd throw in a fresh set of plugs and the fresh gas and filter between the tank and fuel pump and give it a go. If the gas filler smells like varnish I'd probably put a length of hose on the intake side of the fuel pump and run it to a small gas can or container of gas. It doesn't take a lot to get it going and running to see if it has oil pressure.

If it runs decent and doesn't knock but burns a bit too much oil it isn't that hard to pull it down and put in a new set of cast rings and be ready for another few years of cruising. Back in the 60's the local mechanics could pull the head and pan, push out the pistons, clean things up and put the pistons back in with new rings and grind the valves and have one of these trucks running by quitting time. Some could do it by lunch.

I'd still see if I could get it running and see if I could drive it at least up and down the driveway. Then if it just doesn't do the job you can decide what avenue to take with it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
GeorgeLeonard

Thanx. That is exactly what I will do.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Good compression is for those that can down shift when going up hill.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
GeorgeLeonard

If you have good compression, you don't need to downshift when going up a hill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
fabguy
Elev8r Man

I had a 50 suburban with a similar situation / friends. I simply ran it dry to remove the oil in cylinders, put in new spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, points and fired her right up. It smoked a bit although it ran great. I put the money forward figuring that if I nedded to have it rebuilt these items wouldn't have too be bought later.
I would say try it out because you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, if it runs then you save the money, if it doesn't then you have it rebuilt and at least the knowledge that you tried.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
GeorgeLeonard

So true. Words to live by. Thanks for the encouragement
Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
OrrieG

Its amazing what will run. My first truck was a 47 ford with a well worn flathead. It would not start with the started, had to roll down a hill to build up compression, luckily all my friends and girl friend lived on hills. It used 1 quart of oil every 10 miles and had twin bed stacks. It looked like the Queen Mary steaming down the road. I worked part time in a gas station so I had access to lots of used oil. Once started it ran fine. I drove it for 6 months before I broke an axle. Paid $40 for it and sold it for $50 (this was 1968) to a dirt track guy that wanted the open driveline tranny for his race car.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
55metalmonkey

IMO if you’re not too worried about salvaging the engine, new plugs, oil, fresh gas and fire it up. If it runs fine you can decide what you want to do from there.
If it grenades you never really lost much especially if your grand plan includes a V8 in the future
Just my 1/50th of a $
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Russell Ashley

I'm with the guys who say to start it up and see what happens. You might be surprised how good it runs after it warms up and gets oil circulating.

Orrie, My first truck was also a 47 Ford that I purchased in 1970 for $150. Mine had a 50 Merc flathead that ran pretty good.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
GeorgeLeonard

Bet you wish you still had it.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
Maximus

I was born in 1985. The only thing I could buy for $100 to drive when I was of age (2001) was something along the lines of a 1985 Plymouth Reliant!my friend paid $100 for his Dodge Omni. I envy you all for having such opportunities!! haha. I was lucky enough to fix up my dads old commuter mustang and drive it with its big 200CI I6 when I was 16, but man 90% of the cars of the 80's were dogs.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLeonard View Post
Bet you wish you still had it.
Back then 46-47 were the ugly cousins to the 39/40's and F-1's. I wish I had every car I owned and the ones by Dad wouldn't cosign on.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
GeorgeLeonard

While I dont agree with you concerning the relative beauty of the 46-47 models, I do agree about wishing I had back all the cars I ever owned. That feeling must be pretty common among car guys.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
OrrieG

I didn't say I thought they were ugly, I bought it. There is one running around town that is slammed and looks great. Part of the appeal is the rarity.