The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up The little 6! That could be V-8.

This is going to be my daughter and mine build thread. We where given a 68 LWB step side Saturday. The truck was a one owner but his son had it but never had the title put in his name so it only has his dads name on it as the owner and the seller.
The truck has a little over 61,000 on it. Light green straight 6 with 3 on the tree. It's going to be a long process but my daughter is wanting her a classic and keeping it as original as we can. The price was right to. FREE!

Pictures of it on the ramp truck coming home and Andrea & Donnie the man we got it from.

https://www.facebook.com/C10Tour/
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: The little 6! That could be V-8.

So today I got 2 cheap tires put on it so we can roll it around and load it on to the ramp truck. Took the carb off and well it will need a rebuild for sure. The paper filter that was inside it was nothing but powder. The fuel pump was also clogged up. The tank looked pretty good but I plan to wash it out with some kind of cleaner and install a new sender the float was gone. I took all the plugs out pulled the valve cover off and looks like #1 cylinder is seized up. It's rusted up pretty good. Looks like we will be pulling it and rebuilding it if she want change her mind about keeping it original.
I have a friend who has offered a 350 complete and ready to go in it. She is being stubborn about it.
I played with the wiring a bit also. I think the turn signal harness will need to be replaced along with the rear tail light housings they are pretty corrided inside. Light's work sometimes but not all the time. Havent gotten brakes to work yet. I took the brake light switch wires loose and jumped them and nothing. It got dark so I stopped for the day. I'll play with it some tomorrow and see. But I think I'll just order a new harness and start all over.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: The little 6! That could be V-8.

I drained the oil and pulled the filter off drained the radiator and pulled it out going to order a V-8 one for it just in case. The oil looked like black gold, Texas tee as the Beverly Hillbilles called it. The oil filter was put on by super man I think.

Every wire I have messed with today on this truck was nothing more than twisted together with black tape. The gas sendor wires where just wrapped around the stud and the ground was shoved into the lock ring.
I was wondering why the back wheels where locked up and thinking it was the brakes but after a few looks I realized the gear shifter was not working the linkage when trying to go through the gears. I had to grab the linkage rods and move them by hand.

https://www.facebook.com/C10Tour/
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Started tearing the 64 283 down today to see what it looked like. Found one broke rod and one bent. But the block looks fine so off to the rebuilder for a complete rebuild. Hope to have it back in a couple of weeks. Heads look good also.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
flashed

Re: The little 6! That could be V-8.

If you need a Power Steering set I know where one is .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I had a ‘61 283 in a ‘69 Stepside once. That little engine ran nice with the 3.73’s and 3OTT.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
jamyers

Your daughter sounds like mine, who didn't want anything done that wouldn't have come on the truck.

You sticking with the inline 6? Good engines, those. You'll appreciate the lack of wheel-spin, and she'll appreciate the mpg.
jamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Well plans are changing by the hr it seems for it. But in a good direction I hope. The 6 cylinder & trans are going up for sell as soon as we pull it. Cheap! Not that it's not worth it but want it gone. I had plan to use the 283 but that ended today by chance. The long time friend who is the owner of the shop that I'm using is the same guy who helped me build my red truck back in the 80's.
He has been nice enough to trade me a late model 350 with aluminum intake for a four barrel, roller caps and a nice mild cam already installed with a full rebuilt all new synchromesh 3 speed. All the rubber and rocker panel replacement parts that I need and the use of his shop as long as it takes to build the truck. He has a new HEI he traded for still in the box with wires never installed. Power brake booster, PS unit and much more. He is wanting rid of the stuff and knows he will never use it so he is trading it for a golf cart I have for sell. Bill has had several heart heart attack's and has closed his shop down but after a year of doing nothing with it he piddles on his vehicles and has let me use the shop when I need it. He supervises and I do the labor.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
a.c.ward

That sounds like the kind of friend we all need when building a truck, especially a project so special as this. I hope that your daughter and yourself have many wonderful times building memories that will last forever for you and for here. She will have some great stories to tell her future family about that one time in the garage with Dad working on the truck.

My daughter and I were working a truck together, starting when she was 3, all the way up till I started deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan. She was 15 when all the deployments started. We collectively moved three times (Army has a way of doing that to us), still managing a few hours here and there working on it.

She and I and now her daughter finally were able to finish the truck some 25 years later. I am so glad we both didn't give in to temptation to sell. Some memories I hold very dear in my heart. It is really awesome to here her tell her friends, husband, and her kids about the times we shared in the shop.

Keep up the good work, PM me if you come across something that I may have hidden in the shop that I can send to you (shipping cost only) to further along the truck.. I have a fair amount of extra stuff....

the first photo is 1992, when we found it, the second is granddaughter in 2015, third is first show ever in 2018
Attached Images

66 El Camino

67 SWB underwent major Surgery- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776475
a.c.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Very cool truck sir! Thanks for the offer of parts to. I'm hoping we get to spend a bunch of time together as she is 30 years old and already has a child who both live with us. We are making it a Daughter & dad + grandson project. Rhett is been a part of it weather he knows it are not. He will be 3 in June.
Bill was at the hospital when Andrea was born and when Rhett was also.

He also took classes at the GM training center in Charlotte under my dad when dad was the instructor. So he is a very close friend.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.ward View Post
That sounds like the kind of friend we all need when building a truck, especially a project so special as this. I hope that your daughter and yourself have many wonderful times building memories that will last forever for you and for here. She will have some great stories to tell her future family about that one time in the garage with Dad working on the truck.

My daughter and I were working a truck together, starting when she was 3, all the way up till I started deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan. She was 15 when all the deployments started. We collectively moved three times (Army has a way of doing that to us), still managing a few hours here and there working on it.

She and I and now her daughter finally were able to finish the truck some 25 years later. I am so glad we both didn't give in to temptation to sell. Some memories I hold very dear in my heart. It is really awesome to here her tell her friends, husband, and her kids about the times we shared in the shop.

Keep up the good work, PM me if you come across something that I may have hidden in the shop that I can send to you (shipping cost only) to further along the truck.. I have a fair amount of extra stuff....

the first photo is 1992, when we found it, the second is granddaughter in 2015, third is first show ever in 2018

Very good picture of your daughter and granddaughter. I love the pictures like this.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: The little 6! That could be V-8.

I cleaned the tank out yesterday. Filled it full of soap and water and slung a chain off a old bike in it and slung it around for about 30 minutes washed it out good and turned it upside down will let it dry for a few weeks before putting it back in the truck. I'll spray it down again today just make sure all the soap is out of it.
I ordered the 72 c 10 sendor for this so I will have a return line to the tank for the Holley Sniper kit I plan to install.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 04-10-2019 at 05:48 AM.