The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
danheit

Door Hinges?

Hey guys, three part question. First, I have a pile of parts of a truck (1955 Second Series). In that pile of parts, for two doors, I have one hinge. I have seen through a few different places that the upper and lower hinges are different. How do I tell which one I have?

Second, are there any recomendations for where or who to get the rest of the replacement hinges from? New or used.

Third, does anyone have any extra door hinges laying around that they want to get rid of? Maybe something you replaced?

Thanks! I am making tons of headway on my project and this would really make me feel like I have a lot accomplished if I have doors attached to my cab!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Lextech

Re: Door Hinges?

I can only answer your second question. I needed two left side hinges for my 54. I really didn't want aftermarket hinges but every used set of hinges I found were just about as messed up as mine. I finally ordered a set from Chevs of the 40s. I am VERY pleased with them. the quality seems excellent and they fit and work perfectly.

Jeff
Lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Tims37chevy

One hinge has the spring and one does'nt can't remember off hand if it's the upper or lower that has the spring
Tims37chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
sqrlnts

Just learned this last week, the upper has the ear for the door spring. The lower doesn't have an ear on it.
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
danheit

Gotcha. So then down to two questions. One, where's the best bang for the buck on door hinges? I've got the Ecklers, LMC and Brothers catalogs, but I am sure that there are much better places to get more for my money so to speak. Two, anyone have any extra factory hinges they wanna sell?
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote