The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
CMH77

is it worth it?

I am in the process of rebuilding my '69 LWB Stepside C10.

I got her (as it turns out from a former board member here) about 2 years ago, and used her as a work truck and driver since then. Upgraded and tinkered and toyed on it with intention of bringing it back to a decent daily driver status.

Well, the integrated head on the 250 Straight 6 went kaput on me and I decided now was as good a time as any to start really tearing into her and replacing and fixing the stuff that bothered me most; new rocker panels, one cab corner, new kick panels and new door panels, replace the crappy slider with a solid rear, refresh the interior, new bumpers and NOW a new sbc drivetrain. Few other things on the docket as well, slightly lower her, disc conversion in front, find some decent rally wheels, new bed wood. (The list keeps growing, I'm trying to prioritize.)

I found a '68 C20 locally that the guy was going to part but is willing to sell whole to me. It has a 327 with a Muncie 4 speed. His claim is it ran when he parked it a 'few' years ago. Good glass all around, though the rear is the small window version and I need a large. Most of the panels and interior stuff I need minus the rockers which aren't that great on his either, good front clip. No bed, no rear bumper. He offered to let it go to me for $750.

Here's the kicker, no title, bill of sale only.

So, back to the question. Am I being a cheasp skate if I go in offering him $400 or is it worth what he wants?
CMH77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
CMH77

Re: is it worth it?

Here's the truck in question: http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/pts/3269510268.html
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
airdale94

Is yours a stick?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You need to assume the motor is junk and can't be used. If it is good, thats a bonus but no guarantees so don't count it as part of the value. Essentially your buying a parts trucks and not a lot of the parts will work for you.

I think its too high, and would start at 300.00.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
GMCJOE

A left over 67 model, factory titled as a 68. DOT regulations of March 1, 1967 stopped production of these small window trucks. Depending on who you talk to and what someone is willing to pay, I believe the truck is worth what he is asking. In parts or for resto. Whatever you give for it, you will be able to take your parts from it and part the rest out for a profit to rebuild the engine. Title's are pretty easy to come by, either by requesting thru state or using a titling company. Someone will want the cab for a project.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
CMH77

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale94 View Post
Is yours a stick?
Yes, a 4 speed, granny low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
You need to assume the motor is junk and can't be used. If it is good, thats a bonus but no guarantees so don't count it as part of the value. Essentially your buying a parts trucks and not a lot of the parts will work for you.

I think its too high, and would start at 300.00.
That was the argument I made to him. I can rebuild the motor if need be (minus major issues), but still, your point is valid. Add to it that it's going to cost me cash to get it here as well.

Might be moot though, he doesn't seem like he's going to move AT ALL, much less enough to make it worth my while to invest the cash plus a day into getting it home. He thinks the motor is worth more than what he is asking and considers the truck around it a bonus.

I have a couple big blocks at my disposal, but I didn't want to go that route as she's still going to be a working truck that sees some miles.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
CMH77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCJOE View Post
A left over 67 model, factory titled as a 68. DOT regulations of March 1, 1967 stopped production of these small window trucks. Depending on who you talk to and what someone is willing to pay, I believe the truck is worth what he is asking. In parts or for resto. Whatever you give for it, you will be able to take your parts from it and part the rest out for a profit to rebuild the engine. Title's are pretty easy to come by, either by requesting thru state or using a titling company. Someone will want the cab for a project.
Didn't know that about the small window carryover. Learn something new every day, thanks!

I need the windshield, as my previously perfect one was shot by someone with a pellet gun. I would also plan on taking the motor, obviously, and tranny as a backup for mine.

If I could get a couple hundred out of the remains of the cab and the rolling chassis, maybe I will go for it. Wasn't looking to do a total ground-up motor rebuild, but plans have a way of being fluid.

Thanks for the differing perspective. Going to sleep on it for a few days.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
GMCJOE

For someone that hasn't parted these trucks out before. I would go thru the parts section to base your prices off of. The doors, hood, fenders all look to be in good shape. All the emblems are there, not missing any of the letters on the hood. Grill assembly, minus the one piece of trim is great condition. And tons of other parts. There is a good amount of profit to be made after you get what you need. The question is, do you want to go thru the hassle of parting it out after pulling your parts. Good luck with getting this truck.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
airdale94

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH77 View Post
Yes, a 4 speed, granny low.
You will need all his 4-speed stuff; trans. cross member, z-bar and eng. ball pivot (for the clutch) if you are going to swap to a V-8, also if you move the engine up to the V-8 mounting position your drive shaft will be about a inch and 1/2 to short, plus you'll need his V-8 engine mounts.

You could just swap the whole cab.

Last edited by airdale94; 09-24-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote