The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
hpcgmc

anyone use a hobby paint gun on the interior?

I have not done bodywork before, and have only tried painting a fender with an air paintgun (I think I got it from Harbor Freight) a few years ago and it came out terrible. I want to paint the interior of my truck and was thinking a hobby paint gun might work well. It would be less bulky and (hopefully) less complex then a full size paint gun. I was thinking something like this:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/pa...uto-paint-set/

For a guy who has no experience, is this worth a try, or should I buy a decent paint gun? My air compressor is pretty old and probably has moisture in the tank - I'm assuming this is a bad combination when spraying paint.

Any input appreciated!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: anyone use a hobby paint gun on the interior?

The main problem I see with a really small gun [I did'nt look at your link] is the constant refills. You will spend more time refilling the cup than spraing the paint. I have used one of the auto tochup guns and it is very problematic there as well if it is a spot much bigger than a 2x3. On the other hand the full sized gun will hold plenty of paint, but is cumbersome inside the tight spot where you need the freedom of movement. I said all that to say I guess I can't offer much help to you. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
scapegoat67

Re: anyone use a hobby paint gun on the interior?

Another problem with a gun that is to small for the job is , you can't keep the painted area wet . It's comes out dry because of a narrow fan . If your painting interior panels a good touch up gun will work . You will need a 3 inch fan on the gun . Good luck in your project.
scapegoat67 is offline   Reply With Quote