The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
specks70

"What did he bring home now?"

Well, I guess I'm going to start my build thread.
It all started back in October 2012, when after I finished building my motorcycle. Time in the garage was at a stand still and the garage just simply seemed to be a place where everyone come to drink all my beer.
I started thinking about the days when I hung out in my dads garage with all his buddy's drinking his beer. Then I remembered the one project I always promised to myself I would do and that was restoring a 1970 chevy truck. My Dad had one when I was growing up we shared a huge amount of memories deer hunting and fishing with the old red 4x4 being our transportation.
Well after a short period of searching I found my 1970 on Craig's list. Not a 4x4 but I'm still quite happy with what I did purchase. When it arrived home and I ran in the house to get my wife all she could simply say was, "What in the hell did you bring home now" She knows that I am very determined once I put my mind to something so she knows this project will be a success. In fact when I started purchasing parts for building my bike she was somewhat skeptical whether I would complete the project, But now that the bike was finished she realizes I can also build this truck.
Let me know what you all think so far.
Attached Images

specks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
specks70

Re: "What did he bring home now?"

She's come a long ways in a little over a year. I'm at the point where I'm waiting to paint.
My plans are to paint it the same color as my bike. (I really like that blue)
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
specks70

Ohh wanted to add some pics of the 350 I just finished building last week.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
mikeleeshields

Looks good. I like seeing fellow Ohio members. It is hard to get out there with the snow and frigid temps though.

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
specks70

Waiting until the weather changes so I can paint, So I've been working on the little things like changing suspension bushings, filling the cargo light hole and I've decided to install an out of cab fuel tank so I am filling the hole for the original gas fill.
My wife purchased an entire interior kit for the 70 as a Christmas gift. Boy I would like to install that but again I need to wait on the paint. A bunch of work to do but can't do any of it because of paint. I wish I could've been this far along before it got cold then I could've spent the winter assembling. I'm probably going to tackle the shift kit in my turbo 350 some time soon. I'll make sure I post some pics of that project.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
70LonghornCST

Great looking project! I can't wait to see it painted.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Hardesty454

Looks really good. Any specific plans? Stock height? drop? Interior?

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
specks70

Thank You 70LonghornCST and Hardesty454 for the interest in my build.
A little history about me and another reason why I want to do this build, other than my father having a 71 4x4 back in the day.
I moved to Ohio in 1995 after meeting my wife. I grew up in Pennsylvania and it was a big change to move to a state that had very little trees and no mountains. Anyway roughly two years after we were married I met a gentleman that would eventually become my best friend. This guy enjoyed restoring automobiles that belonged in a junk yard, and really meant to be in a junk yard, and turning them into something that everyone wanted to own. He also had a huge interest in my hobbies, one being I love looking for Revolutionary war artifacts, making home brew beer and motorcycles.
With the same interests we spent a huge amount of time together. And of course one project that we wanted to do was to build a 67 - 72 chevy truck. Over the years, Mark, become a close family member to my family. Doing everything to help us with anything. The guy that would "Give his shirt of his back" to help. (You all know the type of person I mean)
Anyway, In 2008 I asked Mark if he would help me build a motorcycle. I explained that I wanted to actually build a bike and not buy a bike that needed restored. He said that if I wanted to he would help me build it. I started purchasing parts after that. The frame, front end, motor, transmission, etc, etc. Wow, he thought I was a little crazy, he actually thought we would never complete the project. But I was determined . . . .
I completed the build and Mark painted the bike, It was one of a kind. (I will post some pics of the bike build tomorrow while I'm on the computer that has the pics saved on...) The bike is awesome!!!
Anyway to make a long, long, long story short, we never got around to building or restoring that Chevy truck because shortly after the bike build he told me that he had cancer. Exactly one year later he passed.!! And I mean exactly, by the clock, one year later. The hardest thing I ever experienced in my life was the death of my best friend.
Okay, so I guess you all now know why I am building this truck, I just hope that with all the training Mark gave me over the years I can do as good of a job building this project as he would have done.

Not doing anything special, pretty much stock but with a few modern touches.
Please enjoy this post as I progress . . . . . . . . . I'm hoping it will eventually become interesting to all of you. I do have some plans and some ideas that Mark would have done.
Some really cool stuff!!!!!!