The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
mej005

Hooking up braided stainless to 87 sender question

I am getting all my parts together to swap a 5.3 or 6.0 into my 81 c10 and I have a question on the 87 sending unit.

How is everyone connecting braided stainless line with an fitting to the 87 sender? I have searched, but have not seen any pictures or mention of how to connect the two. I would like to not use any FI rubber line if I can.

One option I had thought of was, removing the barb on the output and install something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...6erl/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...6erl/overview/

That would give me 6an fittings on the sending unit, but according to the description they have a 50psi max pressure so I think those are out of the question.

Another option would be removing the barbs and flare them to use a 6an tube nut and sleeve. I don't know a whole lot about an flares, but can I flare the 5/16" line to accept a 6an nut?

The last option would be to run FI rubber line to a barb to 6an adapter and then attach my braided stainless line to that.

If anyone could shed some light on this and show me what you used I would appreciate it. This is the only thing that has me stumped on my swap.
mej005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Hooking up braided stainless to 87 sender question

Strangely this is one of the few times I'll say that the pressure rating is NOT accurate.

There are only 2 ways to go from a hard line to a braided line.
A. You get a JIC/AN Flaring tool for the (iirc) 37* flare on the metal line, then use one of the AN "collars" to attach a regular male or female AN fitting.
B. You use these.

I searched high and low when doing my system (not an 87 but still needed the fittings), and these are the only answer. They have been used EXTENSIVELY for this type of work. The 50psi rating is more of a CYA since it uses a Brass Ferule which "bites" the line, there is a risk of installer error by over tightening and this causes a stress fracture on the brass or a weak spot on the line. Do NOT overtighten and you will be fine, snug + 1/4 turn is enough.

Also there is a possible caution on the "high end" thick brake and fuel lines or the ones made of aluminum or stainless. Aluminum lines crush before these can seat properly (as well as actually bulging under high pressure), and the stainless ones MAY have an issue with the brass being soft and not "Biting" the hard line.

Let me know if you need more help.
(and don't run a ton of FI rubber if you can avoid it, NHRA tracks won't like it)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
mej005

Thanks for the answer. I looked at Russell fittings and did not see a pressure rating on Summit's website, but I didn't check Russell's website. I was not wanting to run any rubber line if I could get away with it; why spend the money on all the braided stainless and still have two pieces of rubber line in the system was my thinking.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
83_shortwide

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...077b/overview/

What about one of these? They are all listed under the same section on Summit's site. It does not have a pressure rating but it does say low pressure fluid transfer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-639210/overview/

Or this one? Once again, no pressure rating.

'83 C10, LQ4, 4L80E
83_shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

none of the compression type ones list "high pressure". They all list no rating or I think one of them says 50psi. Its all the same stuff more or less.

I'm pretty sure Summit and Jegs store brands get their stuff from Fragola, based on the prices and whats offered (russel offers a few special styles that the "Store" brands don't seem to have). In this case, the Russell, Fragola, Summit and Jegs stuff is going to effectively all work the same. I'm sure Aeroquip sells them too but they are almost twice as much sometimes.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

I used the tube to AN fittings that were posted with no problems.

I don't think you need to worry about the "50 psi" rating. I am using the same fittings on my PS pump and hydroboost unit. They are holding up fine.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
joesgreen67

I had wondered this exact same question since I too am hooking up a 87 blazer sender to my 5.3

I could not find a straight forward answer.....Since I didn't like the idea of having a "weak link" in my fuel system (right at the sender) I decided the best option was to keep looking for another solution.

I chose to go with the S.U.R.& R. nylon fuel line kit #KP1200. It's rated for 200 psi and is all inclusive. I bought it online at Tooltopia.com for $136 shipped. It even comes with all the required installation tools.

Hell, the the price of all the AN fittings were gonna get close to this price alone...not to mention the AN line itself.

Since Ill be running the corvette regulator filter #33737, I did need to buy an additional fitting that was not in the kit...S.U.R.&R. #K155....got it on amazon for $10.

I will be running up my fuel lines tomorrow morning
joesgreen67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
mej005

Thanks everyone for all the help. I just ordered the Earl's fittings. Still looking for a motor and transmission, but talked to the guy looking and he said it should be another week or two. Hopefully by January I will have a 5.3 or 6.0 in my truck.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
83_shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesgreen67 View Post
will be running up my fuel lines tomorrow morning
Did you get your fuel lines ran? If so, how did it work out with that kit?

'83 C10, LQ4, 4L80E
83_shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
mej005

Not yet, still waiting on a motor and trans. I got a guy bidding on one on copart but state farm wants more than what he is bidding. It goes up again for auction next monday so we will see. It's a 6.0 in a gmc savana with 88000 miles.

I wanted to get all my ducks in a row before I did the swap so I would have no surprises when I did the swap and the sending unit hook up was the only thing I couldn't find a definite answer on searching the forum and on ls1tech. If I can get the motor by the end of the year I should have it in by the end of February.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
MAK191

The 87 sending unit I have has the metric oring fittings.
Would these work for you http:// http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640830
Posted via Mobile Device
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
joesgreen67

When I was at NAPA yesterday, I noticed they had all the fittings & nylon line that my S.U.R. & R. kit has. I was able to "dry fit" everything so I won't have any surprises myself.

I having installed the kit yet,as I had to focus on the engine & wiring install. I just about got everything done so I'll be moving onto the fuel system next
joesgreen67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
High ho silverado

Don't the blazer sending units have braided steel on them, the 89 I scrapped did or is that only a 88 up thing. On my 87 ls swap I got fi safety push ons to -6 and jus cut off the barb on the end of the lines and used them to push loc hose and then hardline fittings to the metal line, it worked perfectly, but that was for a truck tank sender, I'd post pics but my fone won't for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 Chevy 3/4 ton ex cab 454: work horse
00 Chevy camaro: daily driver
83 Chevy 3/4 ton: dads old rig
High ho silverado is offline   Reply With Quote