The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
biohazardbill

Cooling Fans... pusher/puller.....

So I have a 67 chevy, 454, small cam, nothing major done, mounted in forward holes in case I do upgrades and need taller valve covers later. Using March high flow pulley system. Radiator is a brand new 4 core. Between the water pump and the radiator i have 2 inches. The march pulley setup I have doesnt use a mechanical fan, not sure I would even have room for one. I get mixed info on what to use to cool this thing.

I found this from Summit

it says puller fans (which I will still have trouble fitting) runs 20% more efficient than pusher fans. It also says that manufacturers say not to use puller fans on 4 core radiators... figures...

So I was trying to figure out what pusher fans to get. In front of the radiator there is an opening about 15 tall and 28 wide. That video says for a big block i will need about 4500 cfm, I cant seem to find dual fan setups that come close.

Have you guys had similiar issues and if so what did you do?

Thanks in advance.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Cooling Fans... pusher/puller.....

I would never bother with a pusher fan. Other than sitting completely still it will create a dead air space at the radiator. If the fan is trying to push air out and the wind created by moving forward is trying to push air in you just get a dead air space at the radiator and the engine will actually overheat. I always use puller fans and most factory fans are puller fans as well. You willl be surprised what you can grab at the junkyard. I have a dual fan setup from a 93 maxima on my truck. Took a little trimming of the plastic and it fight right in between the tanks on my stock 4 core for a 72 chevy.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Gumby

#1 have a decent air dam, and use a puller on a temp switch, it should only come on when not moving or speeds below 35.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

A puller fan is more effective than a pusher
Old 03-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
biohazardbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
If the fan is trying to push air out and the wind created by moving forward is trying to push air in you just get a dead air space at the radiator and the engine will actually overheat.
Your comment confuses me lol...

Pusher fans go opposite side of the radiator thus push air towards the motor, not out of the engine compartment. So when driving when pusher fan would be pushing air in the same direction as the air flow from driving.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
SSC's76
No No

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
Your comment confuses me lol...

Pusher fans go opposite side of the radiator thus push air towards the motor, not out of the engine compartment. So when driving when pusher fan would be pushing air in the same direction as the air flow from driving.
not always some are setup on the inside of the radiator to push air out. what they suggest is to not use them like this but rather to draw air in. so if you were to mount them on either side as long as the bring air into the engine compartment thats fine just dont try and push air out.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
biohazardbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76 View Post
not always some are setup on the inside of the radiator to push air out. what they suggest is to not use them like this but rather to draw air in. so if you were to mount them on either side as long as the bring air into the engine compartment thats fine just dont try and push air out.
This is the setup I was thinking about using. The fans between the radiator and the grill, pushing air towards the radiator from the grille of the truck.

I am going to take some more measurements in a few to see if I can somehow manage to get two singles spaced out around the water pump.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have used a pusher, on the front side of the radiator (as an auxillery fan). The only time it ran , was in traffic @ idle speed (v8 S-10 or Ferd ranger), & they both had a fan on the waterpump? No issues, but if you ditch the mecanical fan, you will need a pair of pullers, with proper controlls to keep that engine cool crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
biohazardbill

Well I managed to squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze in a couple of 14" fans. Supposedly 6000 cfm total.

Pics taken at night, sorry for poor quality

Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
wraprail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76 View Post
Huh?

Posted via Mobile Device
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
Huh?

Posted via Mobile Device
You want the fan to be directing air through the radiator and into the engine compartment, same flow direction as if the truck was travelling forwards and getting air over the radiator through the front grille of the truck.

So, putting a pusher fan on the front of the radiator (grille side) or a puller fan on the back of the radiator (engine side) is fine. Putting a pusher fan on the engine side/puller fan on the grille side would not be okay.

Does that make more sense?

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
Well I managed to squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze in a couple of 14" fans. Supposedly 6000 cfm total.

Pics taken at night, sorry for poor quality

Looks good....the proper on/off on the controls should keep her nice & cool crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
biohazardbill

I thought about either using this:

Probe

There is also one with a screw in connector but I think using the probe it will be easier to hide the wires.

Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Gumby

I can say, stay away from the flexolite probe adjustable one, wired per the direction it was hot all the time, if the temp was above said setting the fan would run, aka shut off the engine hot, as temp rise it kicked back on for cool down, great design, cept id sometime find it still running hrs later killing my battery.

more visual design, wire the temp gauge to a light on the dash you can't miss, to cue you to turn them on on off as needed.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
crazy longhorn

I ran Painless controls on mine (on 185/off165)....with a 160 stat, & 4 core copper/brass rad, she does what she should That old truck will idle in traffic, & never bust over190 on temp(fans switch on/off). On the hyway, she runs 175-180 on temp (fans never switch on). You can opt for a higher temp.....IIRC, 205 on/185 off. Best of fun,crazyL
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I can say, stay away from the flexolite probe adjustable one, wired per the direction it was hot all the time, if the temp was above said setting the fan would run, aka shut off the engine hot, as temp rise it kicked back on for cool down, great design, cept id sometime find it still running hrs later killing my battery.
That's why you wire the power feed to the relay through the ignition switch. Fan motor power comes directly from the battery, but relay power can come from the ignition so they never turn on unless the key is on.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
Gumby

directions were to wire it like a factory car, which the fan will run when its shut off on a hot day.

great idea "if" it shuts off.