The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
gread

Question Manual or Automatic

Right now my pickup has the stock "four on the floor." As I am still looking into new options better driving, fuel effeciency, fun, etc. Are there any characteristics about particular transmissions that should sway me toward an automatic? All advice is greatly appreciated.
gread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Manual or Automatic

There's really only personal preference and class restirctions if you're racing to cause one to be better than another.If you like the manual,stay with it and go to a 5-6 speed.The main thing you will gain is a smoother shifting tranny with OD.Since you're already running a floor shift,you can probably even use the original shifter hole.
Do a search(in the toolbar at top of page) and you'll find lots of info on different ones.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
MidLifer

That "stock four on the floor" is the Muncie SM465, one of the most indestructible transmissions ever made. Thats why it is so popular with offroaders.

If your truck has one, chances are it also has a 4.11 rear end. One thing you could do is re-gear your rear to get more top end. For the GM 14 bolt rear you can get gears down to 3.42. Would cost less than a 5-speed tranny.

If you want to go auto, the 700R4 will give you o/d and good reliability and a competitive price point.

Either way, change rear gearing, 5-speed swap, auto swap, there's plenty of how-to info on this board.
Posted via Mobile Device
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
buddylj1990

i got 3 on tree in mine its been good only problem i had is clutch leakage one of the things i look at if automatic goes out u lookin at a rebuild running ???? dollars most of time a manual goes out u lookin at a clutch about 100 to 120 most of the time my cases it was z bar on linkage so it was 20 dollar fix
buddylj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

It is all in the gearing and the way you use the truck. If you change to another tranny, the rear end gears may need to be changed to get what you want out of the truck in gas mileage. As stated above the 4 speed is one of the most indestructible transmissions built, but the rear end is undoubtedly costing you in gas mileage. An automatic allows you to drive and NOT have to shift, but the slippage built into the fluid clutches does take away in mileage. The manual involves the driver, but when engaged, there is a direct link from the engine to the rear end. Look at the gearing and then rethink your choice for a tranny. Maybe a 3.42 gearing would work better.