The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
64chevmn

1964 Stepper guidance

Before I start spending money on buying suspension parts, here is what I plan on doing/buying based on reading several posts. My goal is to lower my 1964 stepper 4 to 5 inches in the front and rear or get the tires to just sit under the fender lip an inch or so. My plan includes keeping the original cross member and a-arms if possible.

• New 3 inch drop coils for the rears
• 2-inch spacer blocks for the rear
• **Will I need to buy a set of rear shock mount re-locate brackets and an adjustable trac bar going down 5 inches?

• Complete front disc conversation kit for 63-70 Chevy truck that includes; calipers, McMgaughy's spindles 2.5 inch drop, pair of 6 lug rotors.
• Plan to cut 1 or 2 coils from front coil springs
• Purchase Capt Fab’s power steering bracket

Here are a few questions that I still have. If I purchase the disc brake kit for the 63-70 Chevy truck, I’m assuming that it will require using the stock ball joints and tie rod ends that I currently have? I would like to convert all of the steering components over to a 73-87 set up; including tie rod ends, center link, idler arm and pitman arm. If I do that, will the drop spindles accept the 73-87 tie rod ends?? Or am I better to get a set of upper and lower 73-87 a-arms to bolt to my cross member so everything is somewhat the same?

I attached a picture of my truck just before I tore it all apart. Feel free to jump in and give me advice…………the more I read the more confused I get.

Dan
Attached Images

64chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: 1964 Stepper guidance

Spindles have to match EVERYTHING.
tie rods and balljoints.
Not sure why you bought conversion spindles if you want to use 73-87 parts?
No shock relocators for 3" rear springs.
(blocks don't affect this)
Don't cut more that 1.5 coils up front.
1/2 coil= 1" of drop (approx.)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
64chevmn

Re: 1964 Stepper guidance

I have not bought any suspension parts yet. I guess I'm just looking for some direction to buy the the right parts to keep my original cross member and a-arms and add drop disc spindles and power steering. For some reason I thought I needed to use 73-87 steering parts to add power steering. I tried looking for a complete front end from a 73-87 Chevy, but living in Minnesota everything is rusted to the point they are useless.
64chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote