The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
72BlueBurb

AC Experts

I am attempting to put together the AC system on my '72 GMC Burb with factory front and rear air. I am using an aftermarket compressor, condenser, and drier. I know just enough about AC systems to cost myself a lot of money. Two questions:

1. What is the capacity (r134 and oil) for our systems?

2. When I got the truck, most of the AC stuff was under the hood, but I have read about an orifice tube. Do our trucks have them? If so, part number and where should it be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Ryan
72BlueBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
GuyO

Re: AC Experts

Hi, I am no expert and I too have a 72 GMC Burb and have been looking for the same type of answers so I thought I would share what I have: " There is nothing special about the rear A/C. It's a squirrel fan, core and expansion valve. The thing to look out for is the type of oil used. Your rear hoses won't like PAG oil for long. They will start breaking down. I've heard ester oil is OK" I can't seem to put my hands on the capacity but I will continue to look. The diagram below does not show an orifice tube. Hope this helps. Guy
Attached Images

GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
WhiteWhale

getting ready to go through this myself.

expansion valve is murray# 38683 (here is a place that will rebuild yours
http://www.classicautoair.com/GM_OEM_Parts_Valves.html )

hoses are 1/2 inch and 13/32, 25 foot long each (Goodyear Galaxy)

There is a sticker on the compressor that states 5.25 lb of R-12...holy sh#t!!
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
4shongo

My system was converted/updated years ago to 134A. When I charged it at the beginning of the summer I put in around 4lbs of 134A. 134A is typically around 75%-80% of the R-12 charge. Since perfect weight is unknown, I would suggest you charge by pressures on your gauges.

Oil is a different issue. Since oil travels throughout the system with the refrigerant it will be hard to tell you how much to put in. If you are replacing the compressor, drain the old one and measure the oil. Replace with that amount plus a few ounces if there was a leak in the system.

Sorry, no perfect answer unless you start with all brand new components, hoses, etc. Hope this helps some!
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote