The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Matty Wagz

Help with 700R4 install

Just starting/getting ready to on this; actually is for the install on my Brother's truck... question is about these electrical connections... I think we have enough of an idea to be dangerous. TH350 already out of truck; i know we need to change the crossmember and shorten the driveshaft. Still confusion as to TCV cable, Monster lock out kit, ETC...

Looking for easiest, least expensive route to go... I will be doing my install very shortly; i have a different set up though, different plug.

I appreciate any/all expertise...

thanks in advance again,

WAGZ
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Help with 700R4 install

Throttle valve cable is critical to the life of the transmission. it's controlling the pressure holding the bands and clutches together. The geometry has to be correct at the carb.

The lockup is something you'll want to do but isn't necessary to getting your project rolling
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Matty Wagz

Thanks for quick response BigDAV160, so am i correct in thinking i need the correct bracket for the TCV cable @ my Carb then will be good to go?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
Matty Wagz

and what is the plug with the 3 wires coming out the side of the trans? what do i need to do with them?

thanks again,

WAGZ
Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Eddie H.

I would recommend checking out bowtieoverdrives.com. Lots of good information there.They can set you up with the correct brackets and carb geometry corrector adapter for whatever carb you are running. I used their kit with my last 700R conversion, and it works flawlessly.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
tinsoldier

Biddav just answered you. That plug is for your lock up. You don't really need it but then will eventually burn you converter up. By locking it up, you will lower the rpm around 200 rpm. I suggest you to get an electronic one like the B&M converter, those vacuum operated ones never worked for me. With the B&M, you can turn the dial until it reaches the rpm you like.
tinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
elimontfort

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...BCAT&CATID=WA3

Get there torque converter lockup kit also

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...AT&CATID=OA1A2

Also you can use your old speedo cable and use your old crossmemeber just move it back. You will need something higher than a 3.08 gear in the rear end. I had a 3.08 and large cam and when the trans shifted in od it bogged the engine down and took the cam way out of its powerband. I recommend 3.73 or 4.10 I was cruising at 1950 with my 700 at 65 mph after I installed my 4.11s with a 29 inch tall tire.

Last edited by elimontfort; 01-02-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add info
elimontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
Myself

I've been running a vacuum switch lockup setup by Painless Wiring, logged 70,000 miles so far with no issues. The wiring will have a +12v signal for the lockup solenoid. Other wiring could be a ground and a temp switch, you'll need to pull the pan to find out.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote