The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
BrianG

68 fender emblem on later fenders?

I've been thinking about changing my fender emblems before I get too far along with putting my truck back together. The truck is all black with no side trim. Currently I have new reproduction C-10 emblems on their. And while the quality of those is pretty good, I'm not happy with them for two reasons. One, they appear to be very crooked. I'm not sure if the boddy shop had to drill the holes for the emblem, or if they were already there. Anyhow, the emblems are too high in the front. I spend some time today notching the pins a little so that I could adjust them and it helped some. The other reason that I may want to change them isn't so much a reason of being unhappy with them I guess, but I just wanted to give the side a little more 'show'.

So, I've been thinking about putting the 67-68 style emblem on their instead. The truck is a 69 and it has the nice blue bowtie on the grille. I really really wish I could find a blue version of the 68 emblem, but from what I understand, no one makes one.

I'm not sure if the 68 emblem would work on the 69 fender, but that won't matter all that much because as long the holes would cover, I might just put them on with 3m tape so that I can make sure I get them straight.

What do you all think? would this look strange? I know it would give it kind of a custom look, but would I get too much of the 'hey does that guy realize he's got 68 badges on a 69?

Thanks for your input
Brian
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
BrianG

Re: 68 fender emblem on later fenders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I've been thinking about changing my fender emblems before I get too far along with putting my truck back together. The truck is all black with no side trim. Currently I have new reproduction C-10 emblems on their. And while the quality of those is pretty good, I'm not happy with them for two reasons. One, they appear to be very crooked. I'm not sure if the boddy shop had to drill the holes for the emblem, or if they were already there. Anyhow, the emblems are too high in the front. I spend some time today notching the pins a little so that I could adjust them and it helped some. The other reason that I may want to change them isn't so much a reason of being unhappy with them I guess, but I just wanted to give the side a little more 'show'.

So, I've been thinking about putting the 67-68 style emblem on their instead. The truck is a 69 and it has the nice blue bowtie on the grille. I really really wish I could find a blue version of the 68 emblem, but from what I understand, no one makes one.

I'm not sure if the 68 emblem would work on the 69 fender, but that won't matter all that much because as long the holes would cover, I might just put them on with 3m tape so that I can make sure I get them straight.

What do you all think? would this look strange? I know it would give it kind of a custom look, but would I get too much of the 'hey does that guy realize he's got 68 badges on a 69?

Thanks for your input
Brian
oh hum... I was soo excited to get home from work to see my new emblems today. They look fabulous, however, I knew right away that they wouldn't work. The 68 emblem is narrower than the later years and one of the holes in the fender would have shown. Huge bummer. They would have really looked excellent. Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess. I sure wish I would have thought of using the 68 emblems before the fenders were painted.

So, no K-10 because they never made such a thing, 68 emblem won't work due to holes being different, its not really a Cheyenne, it is not really a C-10, I guess I'm left with custom 10, although I'm not a huge fan of how small the script is. Any one have any other ideas???
Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

CST/10? FYI, 69-72 P10 StepVans used the same emblem as 67/68 pickups except the bowtie was blue. Your bowtie up front is on the hood, right?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
CST/10? FYI, 69-72 P10 StepVans used the same emblem as 67/68 pickups except the bowtie was blue. Your bowtie up front is on the hood, right?
Yes, I knew that the StepVans had the blue bowtie. I couldn't find anyone who reproduces it though. My plan was to use the commonly available truck emblem and paint the red part blue to match the bowtie on the hood. The truck is all black with no other trim besides the tailgate. The blue bowtie on the hood really 'pops' out and looks great. I was trying to give the same effect to the side. I really wish that I would have thought of this before the fenders were painted. Unfortunately, the 68 emblem is just a little bit narrower. I could have dealt with the studs in the back being different by removing them and using 3m tape. That was the plan, but not now that one of the holes will show.

I had struggled originally which emblem to choose, and went with what was on there before, which is the C-10 emblem. It just sort of bothers me that it says C-10 when the truck is a K-10. I guess I understand why on GM's part. The other thing that I'm really (most actually) bothered by is the fact that the emblems are very crooked. The body shop said that the holes were already in the fenders when they got them (new aftermarket) but it seems hard to imagine that no one else has ever mentioned this. I was able to fix this problem some by notching the studs in the back of the emblem, thus allowing me to rotate the emblem more. I'm afraid to notch them too much though. I don't want them to break off. Using the 3m tape might be an option if I have to but using that on the C-10 seems like it will be a bit challenging to trim out around all the curves of the emblem.