The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Tiv

Summit Racing

Just to let you guys know

Just ordered a TCI refurb kit for my TH350 in the truck from these guys and a deep pan to go with it. All showing in stock good to go. Hit the confirm payment option and find the kit is out of stock till 22nd. Bummer

Live chat with them and find out international sales are only dealt with from their Ohio store, and its not in stock there. They don't do internal transfers. (sheees, talk about ice-age) So Ive basically got to wait till they get one from the manufacturer.

They never even offered me any compensation for their system failure, I was at least expecting a shipping upgrade.

Be in no hurry to use them again.
Tiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
indymachinist

Re: Summit Racing

That is strange. I am not international to them obviously but I have always gotten very good treatment from them.

Can you find it in stock somewhere else? If so, I am sure they would give you a refund if you asked?
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
MikeB

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Speaking as someone who lives in the USA, Summit Racing is easily my all-time favorite parts vendor. I have been buying from them for nearly 25 years, and have found their customer service to be second to none.

And 90% of the time I receive my orders in two days, from both the Ohio and Georgia warehouses. Order by 10 PM EST, and your order will ship that night. For example, I placed an order Monday night, and it will be here this afternoon (Wednesday). Also, they give you a ship date for each item before you finalize the order.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Tiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Also, they give you a ship date for each item before you finalize the order.
Yes they do Mike, but as I intimated, their system is based on stock in any of their US warehouses, BUT they only ship internationally from their Ohio warehouse. Unfortunate for me of course what I want is not in ohio. Their system did not tell me that until the payment was confirmed.

Their ordering system does not know they only ship internationally from Ohio, their payment system does ????!!!!

They boast being able to ship to any of the 48 contiguous states in 48 hours, but they cant transfer gear between warehouses...hmmmm....

They may well be great for you guys but us bods over the seas, not so...
Old 07-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
HUSSEY

I have to say Summit is probably my favorite. They have a great selection, free shipping a lot of the time, and a really good search/filter feature.

But, I use them all from Summit, Jegs, Speedway, to any other smaller operation, and eBay vendors.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
mr48chev

They only ship internationally from the Ohio warehouse because that is where they are set up to do international shipping. That would include people trained to handle international shipments including filling out customs forms correctly and being able to source the best shipping method.
I do see your point on the concept of transferring the parts from a warehouse they are stocked in rather than back order from the manufacture but as they may not have their own in house trucks to transfer items from one warehouse to the other that may run the shipping costs up for you if they did so.

I'm like the others who commented that they are one of the best parts outfits to deal with and I've had great experience with them on what I have bought from them even when I bought something out of their Ebay store.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Tiv

Credit where credit is due, yes I had to wait 3 days extra before despatch, but Summit despatched the order ahead of schedule and it arrived in the UK in good time.

I take it all back, a good service and I will use again, even if we did have an initial hiccup

(dont you just hate eating yer own words lol)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Advanced Design

Really glad they came through with good customer service. Jegs has been my go to place last couple of years due to their free shipping.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
mr48chev

Now you know what you need to do to make an international order go through you should be good to go.

I order online from a number of places and usually the one who's combined selling price and shipping costs come out the best gets the sale.

I've got Amazon prime and always check on Amazon to see if they show the part and what their price or the price of someone selling through them is. On late model parts that has saved me a ton of money. Especially on chassis parts and brake parts if they show a "used" item that they are selling through their warehouse it most often means that the box it is on has a hole or tear in it and they give deep discounts on a lot of stuff that way.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #10
Indian113

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiv View Post
Credit where credit is due, yes I had to wait 3 days extra before despatch, but Summit despatched the order ahead of schedule and it arrived in the UK in good time.

I take it all back, a good service and I will use again, even if we did have an initial hiccup

I find that a little salt and a lot of water and they are easier to Eat!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Black93GT

Like most everyone, I've had good and not so great dealing with various vendors.... but with summit I've had nothing but great transactions. I've ordered parts from local shops who have nothing but rave reviews... only to wait months for parts that should have been delivered in weeks but were somehow lost. Cancel the local order and call summit. Boom, on my doorstop in a few days.

The times I've been in a simillar situation as Tiv, Summit customer service will re route a delivery to have one to me in less than the scheduled restocking date. Again, like Tiv, any issues I've had with orders are immediately taken care of.

I certainly have no affiliation with any vendor,nor am I promoting them. Just true and honest positive feedback.
Black93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

"They never even offered me any compensation for their system failure, I was at least expecting a shipping upgrade".

I need to ask this question not to start an argument but I really want to know why do customers feel that they need to be compensated for an item that's either out of stock or on back order when a system tells them it in stock, or if it doesn't arrive as planned, or in the case as above the international shipping was a little tricky. I understand if they sent the wrong item they should step up and pay return shipping and reshipping.

I get this question when it ships a day late or the last item sold just before they purchased and want some compensation for out of stock like 10 - 20% off or free shipping, or if they needed it by X date and never told us that and it arrived later than they wanted. I need help understanding why this is.

And again I'm not looking for a PI**ing match, I'm just curious and maybe I'm missing something.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
OrrieG

I've had good luck with Summit too. Have found items there for less than the manufacturers pricing.

DWSCR, for the same reason people try to low ball my fees. In our modern world the expectation has become everything is negotiable or subject to a discount, not that a fair price should be paid for goods and services. At the height of the recession I had a******* telling me I needed to work for 50% or my going rate because they knew I needed the work. I just told them I did not work for people who did not appreciate what I bring to the table and showed them the door. Boise is still a small town and I usually heard the horror stories from the guys they did hire.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:35 AM   #14
Nev68

I've been buying from Summit Racing for years and generally had a good experience.
Shipping to Australia could be an issue sometimes but now the have the several options including I-parcel that works well.

Need a bigger garage so I can keep more cool cars alive

My build, a long way to go.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595909
Nev68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiv View Post

I have eaten a lot of "crow" and I always ask for a bit of salt and pepper to go with it!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote