The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #1
19silverado77

Start Paint process

Okay guys so I want to start the painting side of my project and I need pointers at this point I want to get it to primer. so I need pointers and steps as it will be my first time doing body and priming etc. I can do anything mechanically but bodywork and paint is a new story. im working on all my gaps at the moment.
19silverado77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Start Paint process

You can't sand tooo much. First you need to decide the condition of the paint that is there so you can determine how to sand and with what. For instance the truck has had several paint jobs, then it probably should be stripped using something like a 36 grit or 80 grit. Then sand it again with like a 180 or 220 to smooth out the sanding marks before primer.
Now if the paint is in good shape you can sand it over with say 220 grit then prime it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
19silverado77

It has had one paint job besides original. What I want is to get a straight looking truck the door need attention they are dented and then there's a few dents in the bed.
19silverado77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
hugger6933

Get a couple sanding blocks if nothing more than the small hand held 8 inch one. The use of sanding blocks and good sharp 80 and 120 grit paper with the use of high build primer like the Omni MP282 and hardner MH283 and a guide coat of some sort will make you a better body man than you actually are. If you have a friend that has a stud gun borrow it they are invaluable in dent removal or if you have ever thought about one for your self do yourself a solid and also order a shoot suit and a Stud Lever. Those two tool complement the stud gun so well the stud lever with a little practice will sometimes have you pulling dents that only need high build primer to get them finished. I have pulled many a dent with mine that has sanded out but it takes a little getting use to the feeling of it. jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
faribran

The first thing I would do is to clean the panels; soap and water, then wax and grease remover....then proceed per above
Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
rxnova

if no rust, use present paint as a guide coat. SAND in x patterns forever with long blocks. if you have no experience with a orbital sander don't use it as it will sand boo boos in the finish. remember lotsa coats of paint will show up in the longevity of the finish. remember persistence will be your friend! we are not goin to sema with these trucks like the people on TV in those 7 day restoration shows. walk down the hill, don't run. thanks rxnova
rxnova is offline   Reply With Quote