The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2015, 03:21 AM   #1
runrunner

What to do with rusty 67' cab and project

I started tearing into my 67' LWB (pulled front clip, bed, interior, engine, trans, etc.) and there is way to much rust in the cab then I think is worth dealing with. It needs: Inner and outer rockers, front floors, kick panels, cab corners, cab mounts, cowl shoulders, etc... Today I pulled the windshield and found considerable rust around the channel and several large holes in the roof.

Looking at patch panels I'm looking over $300 in parts alone and that doesn't include the shoulder repair and window frame. Its pretty much roached.

I'm thinking of either finding another cab or parting this out and starting over. Paid $1k for it, sold the engine today for $150 so would just need to recoup $850 to break even.

The bedsides are great, fenders need patches in the front corners otherwise in good shape. Grill, hood, cowl, etc all good. Frame is great.

What to y'all think? scrap the project and start fresh or look for another cab and use what I have?
runrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
sawman

Re: What to do with rusty 67' cab and project

I have a 67 cab I was selling patch panels off it,it has good windshield frame ect if you decide you need any patch panels
sawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

Well ,One good thing is you now know what to look for before buying another one ,Sounds like a cab switch would work . Everyone has opinions on what to do with it the best option is to do what YOU want to with it .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
truckkeepsmesane

My 67 has a similar issue, I found a buddy doing a rebuild and bought a new (used) roof with good drip rails off him that he had for a patch panel. Picked up new rockers (outer only), floor pans, cab corners, kick panels. Used some flat sheet metal instead of dropping money on form panels where I could. Still in progress as I wait to make a little more money and get my welder up. I'll post pics up when its done. Found a new cab but it had the large back glass and someone had done a bondo job on the rockers already.
Attached Images

truckkeepsmesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
runrunner

I found a cab that's decent, but not great. Needs outer rockers but everything else looks pretty good. Its at a wrecking yard and they want $750 for it and I don't think there is much wiggle room in there.

How hard is it to find minimal rust cabs and what kind of money are the fetching?

I wasn't able to upload pics last night.
Attached Images

Last edited by runrunner; 11-08-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
cooperhw

I would find a better cab.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
sawman

ya that's very bad,
sawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
runrunner

Well, after much debate I've decided to sell the project and start again with something better. I'd rather spend a little more money and get something with decent paint and limited rust. I'm trying to sell the entire truck but if I cant I'll start to part out. Fortunately everything is already off the truck except the cab so it should be pretty easy.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
agawam

It looks like a typical Massachusetts truck, here everything is shot but we put them back together, we also look at the thing very carefully before we put money down, and still there are suprizes , I was lucky found a 67 California truck fairly close, and my 82 trailering special is pretty much all steel,
agawam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
Ontcalimo

If frame is good and you plan to do a frame of restoration I would keep it and look for a better cab. I was lucky to find an excellent cab without rust, except one rocker panel area here in California at local do it your self junk yard for only $125 dollars.
Ontcalimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

I was advised to do the same: my truck is badly rusted and also badly bondo'ed so I plan to get a new cab.

As homage to the original owner (my dad) I will keep the manual choke he put on, but move it from the cigarette lighter to over top of the ignition. That's a better location anyway and it allows me a cigarette lighter for charging things.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 AM   #12
swamp rat

Just be ware of a shiny paint job to as it may be over bondo to make a bundle of cash.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #13
midniteblues

That's a tough decision,I'm sure in your neck of the woods better cabs are around here they are tough to find with out a lot of rust. Or a lot of $$$$.
I like to find the rusty ones cause most times they don't have someone else's crappy patch work allready done. That's a real pita too redo.
I would rather know what needs cutting and work rather than guessing or think a panel is good only too find out later it's spray foam.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #14
runrunner

Spray foam with fiberglass over the top? That's what the creative genius did with this truck. I decided to part it out. Slow process, sold the engine and one fender. I've had it on CL for a few weeks and am surprised I haven't had more interest. Oh well, its not in the way.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #15
In The Ten Ring

List some of your parts here (or all of them) on the Parts Forum and there might be something I'll want.

*You'll have to be a paying member though, if you aren't already.

**Don't sweat the loss. If I got upset about each time I have lost money, I'd be 6 feet under by now or locked away by the men in white coats. Learn from it and do better next time.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
ekgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Well ,One good thing is you now know what to look for before buying another one ,Sounds like a cab switch would work . Everyone has opinions on what to do with it the best option is to do what YOU want to with it .
x2.

I have pretty much the same issues with my 68. I just started buying parts as I could and fixing what I can when I can. If I get in over my head, there are plenty of people on here that have the expertise to help.

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
hugger6933

I haven't surveyed the cabs on my builders[I have 5] but I probably should then plan a road trip to buy some cabs and pull them home on my trailer.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #18
Grumpy old man

Just 2 years ago Parts trucks most with titles and mostly short beds and decent rockers up sheet metal I could buy for $250.00 to $500.00 with little effort and less than 150 miles from home just using Craigslist .2 YEARS AGO ? Now rusted out long beds are selling for $1,500.00 and up with the supply getting smaller everyday and with every rust bucket now being valued at $3,000.00 .I'm still buying all the 67-68's I can find in my budget and just hoarding titled short bed cabs/frames /doors and tailgates .I bought a set of rust free intact 67 doors for $100.00 on Saturday and wanted to dance all the way home ! I also got a rust free 67 core support with the original intact battery box and heavy sway bar with mounts for $75.00 (From my new best friend 2 miles from my house ) I already worked the core support and doors and they are already media blasted and epoxy primed (I'll post pictures this morning ) My Point being stay away from the major rusted cabs unless thats all you can find but if you look a little harder or drive a little further south there are still plenty of solid deals to be found . A year from now when they hit 50 years old! What are they going to be worth ? Remember we all sat and watched 67-69 camaro's do the same thing and now guys want $10,000.00 for a bare decent body with no driveline or interior . Better than money in the bank !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote