The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
93svtlightning

Electronic Ignition on 65 c10 w/230

Quick question is it better to buy the Pertronix Distributors or the conversion kit?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-91162a

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d106700

Thanks guy .
93svtlightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
lsversaw

Re: Electronic Ignition on 65 c10 w/230

I don't know anything about the cost of new/rebuilt/repop original distributor bodies or shafts, but if you've already narrowed it down to these two options, then IMHO, it depends...

Buy the new distributor if your original is worn out, and if original appearance is not important. "Worn out" generally means excessive radial play in the shaft, a crack in the casting, or a worn drive tang.

Buy the kit if your original disty is not worn out, and/or you want to maintain original appearance. The kit will give performance equal to the full repacement disty, if the original body and shaft are not worn out.

IF Chevy put HEI on later sixes, I'd also consider converting to that. But I personally prefer later-era GM parts to aftermarket stuff.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
93svtlightning

Thanks I purchased the distributor
Old 11-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Before you do either one you should know that you will still need an External coil and a ballast resistor, which you probably already have. The pertronix unit only replaces the points and condenser and does nothing for a hotter spark. IF you buy the blaster coil you need to know that there is a coil for the six cylinder and one for the V-8 the difference being the resistance in the primary coil wiring. 1 ohm for the v-8 and 3 ohms for the six.

There is a full HEI distributor made for the six cylinder which would be easy to install and you get the coil in cap and no points benefit for a lot less money. If you can stand buying the offshore distributor, which BTW the Pertronix unit is now made in Mexico. This eliminates the external coil, the resistor wire and the jumper wire from the starter. You only need to run a key on hot wire to the BAT terminal on the distributor.

You would have to buy new wires with the HEI dizzy.

Lots of guys on the forums have gone this route and many have been very satisfied.
http://stores.ebay.com/whiteperforma...4.l1513&_pgn=1

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
93svtlightning

Thanks for the info on the coil. I did not know that. I purchased the 1 ohm coil. Guess I'll make a trip back to Summit to swap it out for a 3 ohm
Old 11-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93svtlightning View Post
Thanks for the info on the coil. I did not know that. I purchased the 1 ohm coil. Guess I'll make a trip back to Summit to swap it out for a 3 ohm
It should be in your installation instructions for the P II kit. That;s how I found out.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
93svtlightning

Cool Re: Electronic Ignition on 65 c10 w/230

This confused me. The Ignitor II shows the .6 ohm on 4, 6 & 8 cylinder

The distributor I bought has the Ignitor II. Pertronix was closed today so I will call them monday

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx
Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
This confused me. The Ignitor II shows the .6 ohm on 4, 6 & 8 cylinder

The distributor I bought has the Ignitor II. Pertronix was closed today so I will call them monday

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx
Pertronix lists their .6 ohm coil "Flamethrower II" as compatible with the Ignitor II.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
93svtlightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Pertronix lists their .6 ohm coil "Flamethrower II" as compatible with the Ignitor II.
I understand that what is shown. I just want to make sure I use the correct stuff.

VetteVet what are your thoughts?
Old 11-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
I understand that what is shown. I just want to make sure I use the correct stuff.

VetteVet what are your thoughts?
I went online and saw the same thing for the 4 6 and 8 for the igniter 2 so you are probably ok with the .7 ohm. It shows the 3 ohm for the six as well but it's in the Ignitor column so that may be the difference. I'll check mine tomorrow but I thought mine was the Ignitor 2.

I was worried that not having enough resistance might burn out the module on the pickup in the distributor, otherwise I couldn't see why the .7 wouldn't work. does your unit call for the ballast resistor? 1.8 ohm like the one for the points system.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 11-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #11
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

OK my curiosity got the best of me and I went out and looked for my units.
I've got the ignitor not the ignitor 2 and the coil is a 3.0 ohm PN 40501. This is the 3 ohm coli for 2 4 or 6 cylinders. I need the v-8 coil for the ignitor unit.

The ignitor I have doesn't match the the part number in the chart. Mine is 1181LSC

Looking at the instruction charts, I see that the ignitor 2 recommends removing the ballast resistor or the resistor wire which you have. This means you will have to wire the black wire to the negative side of the coil and the red wire to the positive side of the coil and then run a positive wire to the ignition switch or to the IGN unfused terminal on the fuse box.

The coil you need to use is listed in this chart depending on whether you want black or chrome or epoxy filled.

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instru...eets/45001.pdf

I bought my pertronix a few years ago for my corvette because it has a cable driven tachometer and I couldn't just swap in an HEI distributor. The outfit I linked above sells the HEI distributors with the cable drive so I might just go with one of them.

I bought my coil at a car show so they gave me the 3 ohm without checking if it was for a six or v-8 and I didn't know the difference so I will have to get the 1.5 ohm coil.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide