The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
funkzilla

Seeking A/C advice

I have a 1965 Chevy that has some of the factory air setup but am having a real tough time finding parts and anyone willing to tackle to renovation of the truck's factory a/c. Any recommendations or tips on the possible use of a Vintage Air (or comparable unit) in lieu of the original air? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
funkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:15 AM   #2
fatboy63k10

Last month there was a complete factory A/C system on Ebay that went for less than $200, and even included the center dash vent. Might want to do some hunting there.

There are several companies selling kits and parts. I bought a "Sure-Fit" 134a kit from Classic Auto Air. Aside of one small detail, the installation was pretty slick and allowed me to utilize the stock factory heater controls to operate the system.

I had called 5 different suppliers, got their stuff, looked through it, called them all again with questions. The supplier I picked seemed most familiar with our trucks and backed it up by sending me the 24 page install guide that included pictures and was written step by step just for our trucks. (the pictures were of a 60-63, but they also have 64-66) So I felt like I was getting less of a "universal" kit. The unit is a newer compact design, utilizes the existing dash control panel, includes all the hardware and compressor brackets. I did have to buy a three row crank pulley and 2 row waterpump pulley (which you could pull from a yard for a couple bucks I suppose).

Last edited by fatboy63k10; 11-16-2003 at 12:18 AM.
fatboy63k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
jwart

ac

i also just started a 65 truck. what did new unit cost & sounds like u are happy with install. any chance of getting copy of directions emailed to us considering to do it? it is a consideration to include on chop top plan.
thanks jwart
jwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:29 PM   #4
chevytrucknut

I've seen a Vinage air set up that had the vents all piped into the stock 64-66 bezel. They also installed the switch in the stock locations and used the stock knobs. The newer set up didn't need all three pull/switch knobs to work but they were left there (or something that the knobs threaded onto) as dumbys.
chevytrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:06 AM   #5
fatboy63k10

Re: ac

Quote:
Originally posted by jwart
i also just started a 65 truck. what did new unit cost & sounds like u are happy with install. any chance of getting copy of directions emailed to us considering to do it? it is a consideration to include on chop top plan.
thanks jwart
Around $1,000.
I think they are the only ones who do not have a website. Call them and make sure they send you the install instructions for 64-66. Good Luck. 1-813-251-2356

The one negative that I chose to correct was that their installation calls for mounting the dryer on the firewall. (Who wants that pos on the firewall?) I chose to mount it next to the condenser behind the grille. Because of this I needed to change one of the fittings from a 90 to a straight leading back to the evaporator. This kit came with specific directions and pictures directly relating to our trucks. Even though most of these kits are universal in design, I was fairly impressed with the application to our specific model truck.
I am not telling you its the best, I can't. just consider it. I was pleased to be able to choose which side of the engine I wanted to mount the compressor, and bought Alan Grove compressor/alternator brackets separately.
Vintage Air's controls do mount in the stock location, but are not the stock look, (not that I care, really) and carry their logo.

Here is another option: Check this place out:
http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/

Most expensive kit $750
fatboy63k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:24 AM   #6
jwart

a-c

63- thanks for info & ph # on unit jwart
jwart is offline   Reply With Quote