The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2022, 02:56 PM   #1
kcstreetracer

Left rear turn signal/flasher no power

So I've been chasing down wiring issues trying to get the left rear turn signal/Hazzard to work. No power to the left rear turn coming from fuse block where it plugs into the rear harness..All wiring and fuse panel is new. Every other light works. Fuses are good. Any idea where I start with this?
Old 02-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #2
sick472

Re: Left rear turn signal/flasher no power

Where/how are you testing for power at the left turn signal? More importantly, if your using a multi-meter...where are you placing the probe for the ground?

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
kcstreetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Where/how are you testing for power at the left turn signal? More importantly, if your using a multi-meter...where are you placing the probe for the ground?
I'm just using a test light. Testing coming out of the fuse panel where it plugs in to the rear harness at the firewall.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
BigBird05

Is it the original turn signal switch?
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
kcstreetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
Is it the original turn signal switch?
No. Its new. Left front, right front and right rear turn signal works. Just left rear doesn't. No power for the left rear wire coming from fuse panel.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #6
pjmoreland

The yellow wire for the left rear turn signal light comes from the turn signal switch. That's why BigBird05 asked you about the switch. You could either have a faulty turn signal switch, or you've got a flaky electrical connection somewhere, possibly on the crescent-shaped connector for the turn signal switch. Maybe the yellow wire terminal wasn't crimped correctly on your new switch.

If you wiggle the turn signal lever around a little, can you get the rear turn signal to start flashing?

With your left front turn signal flashing, is there any power on the yellow wire at the turn signal switch connector?
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
kcstreetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The yellow wire for the left rear turn signal light comes from the turn signal switch. That's why BigBird05 asked you about the switch. You could either have a faulty turn signal switch, or you've got a flaky electrical connection somewhere, possibly on the crescent-shaped connector for the turn signal switch. Maybe the yellow wire terminal wasn't crimped correctly on your new switch.

If you wiggle the turn signal lever around a little, can you get the rear turn signal to start flashing?

With your left front turn signal flashing, is there any power on the yellow wire at the turn signal switch connector?
So I went out and there is no power coming from the yellow wire coming off the column. It is a new column that came with the truck so the turn signal switch is new as well. So is it safe to say the switch is bad? I
Old 02-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #8
pjmoreland

Power comes into the turn signal switch via the following wires:

Brown - hazard lights
Purple - turn signals
White - brake lights

If your hazards, turn signals and brake lights work at least on some of the bulbs, then it seems safe to say you have power going into the switch on these three wires. You just don't have power coming back out of the switch on the yellow wire. I interpret that as faulty switch contacts, a poorly crimped terminal on the yellow wire, or a severed/detached yellow wire inside the column.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:51 PM   #9
pjmoreland

Do your brake lights work on both sides? If yes, then that would indicate the yellow wire is intact inside the column.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:07 PM   #10
kcstreetracer

Quote:
Do your brake lights work on both sides? If yes, then that would indicate the yellow wire is intact inside the column.
Right side brake light works. So I keep messing with the yellow wire and got it to flash my test light finally. But the test light probe will arc on the probe when I touch the yellow wire. Something funky is going on! The dash harness and all of the wiring is brand new american autowire factory style plug and play. So I guess now the we could say the switch is good? But there is still no power to the firewall where the rear harness plugs in. The steering column is a el cheapo chrome unit that came with the truck when I got it. It hasn't had any use really other than driving around the block once. I wouldn't think anything with it would already be bad. But I guess if it's made in China lol

Last edited by kcstreetracer; 02-17-2022 at 09:13 PM.
kcstreetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #11
pjmoreland

If you're getting power on the yellow wire out of the column, then that does indicate the switch is good. Sounds like you've got a flaky connection either at the switch connector or at the firewall connector. You might want to pop the terminals out of both halves of the switch connector so you can visually inspect them. Maybe one of the terminals is poorly crimped. Soldering the wire strands to the crimp terminal is a good way to fix a poor crimp.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:23 PM   #12
kcstreetracer

Quote:
If you're getting power on the yellow wire out of the column, then that does indicate the switch is good. Sounds like you've got a flaky connection either at the switch connector or at the firewall connector. You might want to pop the terminals out of both halves of the switch connector so you can visually inspect them. Maybe one of the terminals is poorly crimped. Soldering the wire strands to the crimp terminal is a good way to fix a poor crimp.
10-4. I'll take a look at that this weekend. I Appreciate the help and insight to get me in the right direction. Wiring is not my strong suit lol