The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Gas Tank relocation/fuel injection

I am looking at possibly changing out my gas tank, one to not worry about all the carp in this old tank, and also to move to a tank with a fuel baffling desired for a fuel injection in tank pump. I have been looking at the Spectra GM14C tank, as it fits perfect between the frame rails. The only problem is that the tank is for a 87 blazer and the fuel neck exit is on the passenger side. I need it to exit on the driver side. I am wondering if I can just spin the tank 180deg so that the neck ends up on the driverside, or if that would defeat the sump/ baffling inside the tank. I don't know if that is directional or not.

What tanks have you guys that have put the pumps in the tank had succes with? I know Boyds are good but they just aren't in my budget. This spectra tank is only $125 which I can sneak into my budget.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:00 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Gas Tank relocation/fuel injection

I had to reverse my tank. One issue to watch for is what side of the frame cross rail the pump is on. If it's on the back/tailgate side running the fuel lines is a bigger PITA than it should be.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #3
LS short box

I doubt turning it would affect the baffles around the fuel pump. A typical FI tank has baffles all around pump pickup.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #4
bowtie72

That’s what I did with mine and it works just fine.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
mkmc69

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
I am looking at possibly changing out my gas tank, one to not worry about all the carp in this old tank, and also to move to a tank with a fuel baffling desired for a fuel injection in tank pump. I have been looking at the Spectra GM14C tank, as it fits perfect between the frame rails. The only problem is that the tank is for a 87 blazer and the fuel neck exit is on the passenger side. I need it to exit on the driver side. I am wondering if I can just spin the tank 180deg so that the neck ends up on the driverside, or if that would defeat the sump/ baffling inside the tank. I don't know if that is directional or not.

What tanks have you guys that have put the pumps in the tank had succes with? I know Boyds are good but they just aren't in my budget. This spectra tank is only $125 which I can sneak into my budget.
What Spectra tank are you looking at? Can you provide a link to it?
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I know you mentioned the Boyd tank being too expensive, but by the time you make the other option work you sometimes are better off going with the more expensive route up front. I do understand the initial layout of coin is easier said than done. I just know there were a few places I tried to save a dollar and ended up spending more time and money to make it work. If the Boyd option is out then you might look at tanks inc. They had some nice options, but I am not personally familiar with them.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:56 AM   #7
MARKDTN

I did a Tuned-Port conversion on a '72 SWB. I used an '86 S10 Blazer tank. Originally 2.8 Throttle body, but I used an '89 IROC pump which fit fine. It did send the filler to the right as you have noted. I think you could go left if you removed all the locating tabs on the pump. I don't think the sump would care as long as the float, pump, and filter had room to fit in. Or if you left the sending unit in the stock location you would have to do more plumbing. I actually used the Blazer fuel lines on the one I did and just changed what I needed in the front.

A word of caution on fuel lines for fuel injection. Any rubber lines need replaced with fuel injection hose. Use EFI clamps and make sure your steel lines have barbs. Don't use brass unions that are not rated for EFI pressures. Use hydraulic line unions or borrow a Mastercool type tool that will make proper EFI connections. If you don't, you will have leaks.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:09 PM   #8
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmc69 View Post
What Spectra tank are you looking at? Can you provide a link to it?
Spectra GM14C is a 30 gal version
https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/en/parts/GM14C
Spectra GM15C is a 25 gal version
https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/en/parts/GM15C

You can find them for $125‐$150. Alot of the tanks sold under different names at the parts stores (Oriellys, Autozone etc) are actually spectra tanks when you get them.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote