The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #1
Chevy nutcase

Cabin noise

Today I finally got to take my 66 c10 out on its maiden voyage after a lot of changes all at once. I had it around the block twice to test a few things but today was its first trip up to highway speed and I cant say I wasn't a lil nervous. I lowered it, added front disk and power brakes, all new brake lines, new tire and wheels, all new steering and the freshly rebuilt rear with higher gears and I was mighty pleased nothing went wrong.

But to the reason for starting this thread is cabin noise. I guess I never cared or paid much attention until today when I was peak awareness listening for any shenanigans. My blower motor sounds like its grinding coffee so I guess a new motor and hamster cage is in order. I'm moments away from ordering a new engine fan and accompanying clutch so I can get rid of the constant typhoon the direct drive one produces. The one thing I'm questioning is the spedo makin a little racket under the dash. My question to the gurus is to eliminate the noise do I need to look at the speedometer itself or would the cable itself be the culprit?

Oh I'll also be adding deadmat when I do the floor and rockers very soon to take care of some road noise
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
bhap

Re: Cabin noise

For the speedometer noise, disconnect the cable going into the back and spray some white lithium grease down the cable. You can also pull the inner cable out and spray all along it. This is the easiest fix, so I'd suggest trying this first. I don't think it is a good idea to spray into the back of the speedometer.
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:58 PM   #3
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhap View Post
For the speedometer noise, disconnect the cable going into the back and spray some white lithium grease down the cable. You can also pull the inner cable out and spray all along it. This is the easiest fix, so I'd suggest trying this first. I don't think it is a good idea to spray into the back of the speedometer.
Yeah I knew enough to not mess with the internals of a spedo but I'll definitely give the lithium grease a try. I'm guessing I can pull the inner part out easily enough but to get it seated into the tranny I'll have to crawl under there and disconnect it all together. No biggie but no so easy since its lowered now lol. Who's idea was it to go so low lol ?
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #4
SkinnyG

There is a proper dry powder graphite speedo lube that you should use for cables, allegedly it does not "gum up" over time like a liquid or grease does.

I'd probably use a penetrating fluid of some sort, "proper" be danged (grin).
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote