The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2023, 11:20 PM   #1
Busflyer05

Taillight trim

Trying to replace the trim around the tailights on a 67. Bought the new trim and clips from LMC but for the life of me I don’t see how these clips can be used. They were included with the order but I think they’re too big for the hole and the trim itself.
Is there a different clip for these?
Attached Images

Busflyer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 11:50 PM   #2
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Re: Taillight trim

Have a look at post #22/#23 of the below linked thread on this subject, it shows the 69-72 style tail light bezels but the 67-68 tail light trim used the same push in clips. Mel

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=698982
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:11 AM   #3
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Also, if you you decide against using/fighting the repro clips, we recently pulled some GM NOS tail light bezel mounting clips out for another member and currently have a couple of extra sets available ready to ship, see post #68 in below linked thread if interested. Mel

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=698537&page=3
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
Busflyer05

Thanks, I’ll PM you later.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:49 AM   #5
Accelo

I highly recommend the OEM clips.
I didn't have access to OEM when I installed mine.

Some suggestions;
Confirm you can install the clips, into the hole, before attaching them to the aluminum.
You don't have to push them in all the way. If you do they may be difficult to remove.

A slight dab of grease on the clip will help more than you would think.

If the clips you received don't seem correct try another vendor, they are not all the same. If fact they vary a lot in design.
The first design I used were junk. Sorry I don't remember the source of the one that actually functioned.

Don't push too hard on the aluminum to install. I got frustrated and dented the aluminum bezel. They dent easily. I had to purchase replacement bezel.

Another option is using double stick tape. That is the method most modern trim is attached. I have never used this option but it may be worth a try. Other have used it.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:04 PM   #6
PbFut

I thought it would be a 15 minute job to snap those clips in and mount the trim. After hours of beating myself up thinking I am an idiot, unable to figure out the clips, I realized that I needed to turn in such a way that the spring arm of the clip required to be bent/compressed in a manner not obvious. It felt as though it was over compressed to a point of bending but they hold exceptionably well. And of course a month later I bang a shovel into one offloading some compost.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:43 PM   #7
Busflyer05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I highly recommend the OEM clips.
I didn't have access to OEM when I installed mine.

Some suggestions;
Confirm you can install the clips, into the hole, before attaching them to the aluminum.
You don't have to push them in all the way. If you do they may be difficult to remove.

A slight dab of grease on the clip will help more than you would think.

If the clips you received don't seem correct try another vendor, they are not all the same. If fact they vary a lot in design.
The first design I used were junk. Sorry I don't remember the source of the one that actually functioned.

Don't push too hard on the aluminum to install. I got frustrated and dented the aluminum bezel. They dent easily. I had to purchase replacement bezel.

Another option is using double stick tape. That is the method most modern trim is attached. I have never used this option but it may be worth a try. Other have used it.
Cheers
Thanks for the tips. I’ve tried the clips I have in the holes without the trim just as a test and they seem like they are a little big. I’ll keep the grease idea in mind.
I hate the idea of double sided tape.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #8
Accelo

In the past I have had to trim the clips with a Dremel. Better than enlarging the holes. I have done that also, but it didn't work out as well as trimming the clips. With all the work to re-pop the clips you would think they could do it a little closer to the originals. But no joy. It's like, "it looks like a clip, lets go with that."
Cheers.

Last edited by Accelo; 02-16-2023 at 12:25 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote