The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #1
PbFut

Input on 4wd project.

Sorry this is a little long. Turning over some future projent ideas. Subject truck is a 1972 c20 GMC Sierra Custom Camper. 8lug hubs. I suspect 1ton frame. Not sure. Long term forword planing allows time to pick up parts. I am a month or two away from completing my driveway paint project. Thankfully it is turning out at or better than I hoped for. Fender assembly, glass, and trim to do. I am already toying with the next project idea. The top end motor refresh turned out good after a failed lifter and shadetree flush , but I am getting too much oil heat indicating to me the bottom end/motor is done for. So a create motor is in the summer cards. I'll stay with a sbc platform in the low rpm 400/400 range. Given front will be all apart again, I'll send the trans out for refresh as I should have done last time. Th350. I know I will be looking for the next project after, as a engine swap is not difficult for me and likely complete before fall. If I don't grow tired of the truck I am thinking of a 4wd swap in. Like many of us the truck is a retirement toy that has no real practical use for me other that keeping busy. I am not a 4wd guy so knowledge is very limited. I like the idea of the more modern hubs and transfer case allowing flick of a switch selection. Knowing anything possible with enough cash. Let's think more of a retiree budget. Is it possible with junk yard pull out parts. Fabrication is not unfamiliar to me. Thoughts?
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote