The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Goats86

Question Seeking input lowered rear end 1986 c10

Looking for new ideas. I "flipped" the rear end under my c10. As it is, it is lower than I care for. That said, Any ideas to get a 2 1/2" to 3 " drop from stock? I cannot do longer shackles as I have a Blazer tank and the fill tube would cause interference. An idea that I would like input on is raising the front spring mounts, leave the rear shackles stock and reweld the perches to correct pinion angle. Has anyone tried that? If so what kind of drop did you get? OR can I get new leaf springs with less arch? If so, do you know who sells them? I am cheap and would like to keep it that way.Thank you in advance for any input!
Goats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Seeking input lowered rear end 1986 c10

I think a shakle & front hanger kit is offered for your truck, for a 4" drop. I know you didnt want the shackles, but if you use just the front hangers , you should get about a 2 1/2" drop(the diff will need to be flipped back under the spring), & will need some angle shims to correct the pinion. Or, you can cut the rivets on your hangers, & move them downward on the rails, to raise the truck back up. I did this to my Longhorn after a flip that set the rear too low. After redrilling, I used 7/16 grade 8 bolts /pinchlock nuts to fasten the hangers back to the rails. You can gain about 2" in height this way, but also need to make a bracket to reinforce the rear hangers, as they hang a ways down on the rails.(stiffen them up for the side forces on cornering) best of fun,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote