The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
76shuvlinoff

78 high cold idle rpm

I brought an all original low mile 78 Big 10 home a week ago, still learning it's quirks.
250 straight six, factory carb. My concern today is what I think is high cold idle rpm. I get in, give the accelerator a slight tap hit the key and it fires right off but the idle is high enough it worries me. I would never choose to rev a cold motor like that. Warm it up, tap the pedal and it just purrs. It's about 25 degrees out there this morning and I'm almost worried about starting it. I assume this is a simple adjustment.
76shuvlinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: 78 high cold idle rpm

Should be a fast idle adjust screw somewhere in or near the choke linkage. It most likely will look similar to the normal idle speed adjust screw. Location depends on the carb.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #3
76shuvlinoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Should be a fast idle adjust screw somewhere in or near the choke linkage. It most likely will look similar to the normal idle speed adjust screw. Location depends on the carb.
I looked for a fast idle screw and didn't see one. Doesn't mean there's not one there somewhere. I will get a mirror and check out the backside where all that linkage is. I tried to play with the auto choke adjustment and went too far, now it won't run cold at all. I sprayed WD 40 around looking for an intake leak. Found nothing. The carb is a Rochester Monojet, original equipment.

Thanks
76shuvlinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
rpmerf

Note sure that is the same as your carb. You can see the fast idle screw in this image. it should be in a similar location on most carbs. On the throttle shaft, connected to the choke.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote