The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
TheSeeker

Crate motor or Rebuild?

I was just wondering if it would be cheaper and more beneficial to do a quality rebuild on my stock 350 or just buy a new gm crate. I would just be rebuilding back to stock, its just a driver and I'm not looking to win any races or pull anything large. Thanks for any input.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 70cst; 10-19-2010 at 08:42 AM.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Rodk65

Re: Crate motor or Rebuild?

Its just my opinion but in my area machine shops are rare and expensive. It was cheaper for me to use a basic crate motor and I am very happy with it.

1969 K10 4x4 Short Fleet. Tuned Port Injection 350/700R4, Cruise, tilt and factory A/C.
1971 C20 Camper Special. 350/350. SOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe LT
Rodk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

crate lol

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i have always just rebuilt most of the time i'm in less than a $1000 if you have good stuff to use back

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Crate.....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
96blazr

Seeker; I Just installed a GMPP 350/290HP (Part Number 19244450). I also installed a Edelbrock intake, 4-barrel Carb and a set of Hedman Headers and that's it. Brand NEW with a Warranty!
I was going to rebuild my tired '77 350 that was in the truck when I bought it, but after thinking about it for a while it just didn't really make sense, to me anyway. My Smog-Dog was starting to blow some Blue smoke and I knew it was only a matter of time after seeing that.
Sure, I coulda got it rebuilt, but after doing some reserch and calling getting some pricing it just made more sense.
Now I got a NICE engine and it RUNS and since adding the intake, carb and headers, I'm pushing 320 or so. Doesn't really matter, cause I'm not racing or pulling or doing burn-outs all day. It's my Hot Rod and my weekend cruiser.

Best advise: shop around for a good price. I got mine through Scoggin-Dickey Chevrolet outta Texas.
btw;Pics taken before headers were installed.
Attached Images

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
qksilver

The less time your truck is down the more likely it will be back on the road. With the crate option you could have it back on the road in a week end. Pulling the old motor, tearing it down and then having it machined..........

Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
big_al_71

I rebuilt my motor and I am super happy with it as I know exactly how it was built....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
TheSeeker

Thanks the general consensus is crate motor and I know of a few machine shops around here but the asking price is a little high for what my budget is. Thanks guys. Ill hang on to the old motor for awhile and see if I can't find something else to use it in
Posted via Mobile Device
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I rebuilt my motor and I am super happy with it as I know exactly how it was built....
yea i often think of stuff as i work in manufacturing, fab work and think of how we "cut corners" with some stuff like last minute stuff, and etc..it's still good but just not right, and some people don't care at all.........

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 10-18-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
trkfrk

Crate motor... Since your going STOCK and looking for a dependable ride with a WARRANTY... something you will not get if your doing the work.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
treveiger

I priced a GM crate 350 at our dealership in town and the guy quoted me 1700 dollars and then i talked to a machine shop on how much would it cost for a usuall rebuild and he told me parts and machine work around 2000 and then you have to put it together lol its a no brainer for me
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
corvetteman10

I work at a machine shop in the inland empire (ca) if all you want is a very basic stock engine, get a crate motor. we do high quality work, but it is also high dollar.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
70cst

Another point...how important is for you to keep your truck stock? I had my engine rebuilt because it was the original motor. You could rebulld your motor and beef it up a little so it will have a few more ponies. Just a thought.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
dmwphoto

there is a lot of satisfaction in doing a full quality rebuild. For the money tho, the crate option is a no brainer.
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
hotrodhomi

yearone crate motor = 400+hp + 400+ftlbs = $3200 shipped to your door = no brainer
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
LeatherMan69

I have to admit i was planning on doing a rebuild... but after hearing some of your quotes and input i didnt know a rebuild could cost more than a brand new engine... I guess my question for you guys now is.. OK so you do a crate what parts would you have to use/keep from the old motor? or does it come with absolutely everything you need? If you buy a crate do you have to spend another 1000 for everything else?
LeatherMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Bowtie67

What most guys here arent saying here is if you do decide to rebuild yourself and you screw things up things can get real costly. Around here finding a good machine shop is hard and I have been using either custom built short blocks or crate engines. Cylinder heads being completely rebuilt by most machine shops usually charge 600-800, which is right in the same price line of some good aftermarket heads. The only difference between the GM 260 & 290HP crate engine is the camshaft. The 290HP Crate engine is a good engine and can be had if shopping around to a high volume GM parts dealer or a biuddy working at GM for less than $1800. My last build for customer was a 396CI LT1 pushing 550HP & 500TQ in a 95 Camaro.

Crate motors come with new timing chains/gears/timing cover, valve covers and oil pan, you reuse all external peices. Fuel Pump, Intake/carb, water pump, harmonic balancer, etc. etc.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
I have to admit i was planning on doing a rebuild... but after hearing some of your quotes and input i didnt know a rebuild could cost more than a brand new engine... I guess my question for you guys now is.. OK so you do a crate what parts would you have to use/keep from the old motor? or does it come with absolutely everything you need? If you buy a crate do you have to spend another 1000 for everything else?
the "goodwrench" 350 you have to buy or reuse the balancer, intake, carb, fuel pump, water pump, manifolds or headers, dizzy and some little stuff you can get a turn key motor but the $$ go up

Danica Grace 6/26/14
Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Hubscrub
Cruzin

wow, the machine shops around here are not that bad as some of yall have to pay. The one i have always used is just a small town shop in it third generation of "sons" very honest and know what they are doing and not $$$$ i do however do all the assembly myself so i usually can rebuilt for about a grand at the most. I do agree at the prices some of yall have quoted the crate would be better for a stockish motor

Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 10-19-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
69 longhorn

In the past, I have built all of mine, but generally go performance build. For your run of the mill cruiser, the GM crate is hard to beat(3 yr /50000 warranty). If you race it , or plan to really play hard, a good built/balanced mill from a reputable shop is probably the way to go....but you pay for what you get Have fun,crazyAL
Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #22
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
this depends on what you buy
more than likely we are talking long block or undressed
not a short block (no heads/intake/etc

long block comes in different flavors
some are the block/heads and all internals, no sheet metal(valve covers or pan/timing cover or intake
some are same as above but add the sheet metal but no intake
some are intake to pan flexplate to water pump..
sometimes the oil pan will not fit your vehicle, but we are talking trucks so thats not an issue..
I'd save everything on the old, untill you get and install the new..

the new unless you buy turn key(ready to run) will not have carb/fuel line/fuel pump/ pulleys/ or brackets for the alt/power sear pump/etc
may have wrong flex plate there are 2 tooth counts for the starters.. and you'll have to use your starter of buy new
most have no dissy so you'll need that and the wires/etc
roller cammed engines need a different gear on the dissy. g.m. crates with a roller need the melonized gear(g.m. parts dept)
others will tell you what you'll need. they are easy to change..
you'll need new motor mounts as I'm sure the ones there are junk
and you'll need the stands.(depending on year)off the old one
they all bolt up to the engine.. but different set ups from 68-72 (at least with the big block)
you'll also need alot of bolts off the old, unless you buy new ones.
the carb and throttle brackets
might need the therostat housing and a new therostat..
belt/hoses/etc
intake if not on new, gaskets balancer if not on new..
good luck. save everything till up and running

Last edited by stich626; 10-20-2010 at 07:41 AM.
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
FRANK70
Punisher70

I was also interested in the same. Crate or re-built? I definitely like the warranty on the crate but i was interested in slightly above stock performance. maybe 50hp+ maybe mild cam. Do machine shops offer warranty's on re-builds?
I have known quite a few people that have had a shop or even someone rebuild an engine for them with performance parts and they blew the engine within a year just daily driving. Lots of people say they know how to build an engine but its hard to find some one or some place that truly knows their stuff.
FRANK70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK70 View Post
I was also interested in the same. Crate or re-built? I definitely like the warranty on the crate but i was interested in slightly above stock performance. maybe 50hp+ maybe mild cam. Do machine shops offer warranty's on re-builds?
I have known quite a few people that have had a shop or even someone rebuild an engine for them with performance parts and they blew the engine within a year just daily driving. Lots of people say they know how to build an engine but its hard to find some one or some place that truly knows their stuff.
You can get a GM crate performance motor with a warranty around that amount of horse power or you could get a stock crate motor and just put different heads and cam in it. The guy at the dealership told me the performance motor i was looking at only had a different cam then the stock one he showed me.
I know what you mean, i get people all the time that think they can build motors but can barley tie there shoes , i usually try and keep them from any sort of mechanical machine. The funny thing is sometimes i feel their smarter than me
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote