The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Leroy-B1

Calling all inliners...help

Running into some problems with my motor and need some help on how to fix...have a 250 inline six in my 67. Decided to beef it up and add clifford split headers, clifford intake, 390 cfm holley, and power steering. First off cant get the power steering to go back in its normal position with the intake made a homemade bracket and it stick way over to the side and don't like it but it was the only I get make it work. Also changed suspension over to 72 5-lug front end with disc brakes. The power booster is to big to fit a decent breather...are there any other booster options? also have trouble with the throttle linkage made a homemade one that goes around the carburetor and looks bad....for the linkage can the carb be turned around? anyone with experience on these that could post some pics would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Leroy-B1; 05-14-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Calling all inliners...help

Here's the linkage on mine. Holley 350 2 barrel.
Attached Images

geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Leroy-B1

mine has the 390cfm 4 barrel the linkage that I made to work likes like an S almost...just doesn't look right to me but it works
Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Leroy-B1

oh yeah using the 11 inch booster... will a smaller 7 or 8 inch booster work and the detent cable from the tranny isn't long enough to reach to the other side...do they make a longer one or what are my options there
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The smaller booster works but there may be some bracket issues.There is also an offset style breather for the 6.It's a bit hard to find a complete one though.You will need to research that part..The throttle linkage would probably be easiest to fix by swapping to the Cable style from the same era.Should be able to find good write ups on all of these in the FAQ's section.Check out the show me your 6 thread found here.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...&highlight=cyl

Maybe there is an idea for your PS Pump there.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
The smaller booster works but there may be some bracket issues.
Sure enough-I just went through this very thing. The brackets seem to be specific for the booster. I had both, but I thought I would use the one off the larger booster because it looked a little better, but there was no way-the rod was like 2 inches short from reaching where it needed to. I guess a longer rod would work, though.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Leroy-B1

ttt
Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Leroy-B1

Think I've got it all figured out except the power steering mount can someone please post a pic of factory power steering with a Clifford intake.....my lines aren't allowing enough clearence to go in normal position Ned some advice on how you made it work
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Leroy,I don't remember for sure so I'm gonna suggest you look in the 73^ forum for pics and info.I'm thinking the later PS pump mounted down low where the 67-72 alt is.You may be able to use the later bracket and get the PS pump down below your intake.The only thing is it may cause you pulley problems.I'm pretty sure there is an answer but you may be the one learning and teaching us.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Roadmarks

Deland has given some good, sound advice. I believe the air cleaner and neck he's is mentioned was on the SBCs in some of the box trucks and vans. If you can find just the 4bbl neck, extend it over the Rocker cover to the passenger's side and turn the air cleaner up in edge. It'll work just fine and be 2 of a kind. Also, '71 and later use a cable style throttle . . .0 linkage problems. You might also check the Offenhauser 4bbl intake for the L6. It's thinner but longer and MAY pose fewer problems.

Best wishes and good luck,

Les
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
Leroy-B1

I think I have the power steering issue figured out after looking at some pics of other set-ups....the line that goes into the back of my pump does not bend as sharp as the ones do in the pics going to try and bend my line a little more and see if it will go back into the correct position if not does anyone have a part number for the correct hose and where I might find it?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Roadmarks

I wouldn't try to bend that line without having another one on hand. Try NAPA or O'Reillys for the line. if not, find Inline Tube on line. Inline will make anything! Last resort, salvage yards. Be sure to look at 70-80s carts too!
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote