The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Rannos

Discouraged!

I recently purchased a 383 rotating assembly from a supplier a few friends had recommended. I had never heard of them but with 3 friends saying they had used them more then once and got good deals and good quality I gave it a try.

After calling them and explaining what I wanted they said they had a similar kit that with a few upgrades would do what I was looking to do and they could have it balanced and sent to me in 3 days and the price was VERY reasonable. So I asked the lady I was speaking with if there was anyway I could purchase this through Paypal so I would have some kind of buyer protection. She said that would be fine sence they used Paypal for all the kits they sold via eBay.

I felt a little nervous at this but went ahead sence they had been recommended by trust worthy people. So I ordered a 6" Scat Pro Competition rod 383 with Probe SRS pistons and a Scat 9000 internally balanced crankshaft. 3 days later I get a kit with what appeared to be what I ordered. So I set about double checking clearances and right off notice that the compression height of the piston is for a 5.7 rod.

I call them and am told a 6" rod and 5.7" rod use the same piston in a 383 as it's the bore that matters. I try to explain to them that the .300" difference in rod length would cause all sorts of catastrophic failures. Finally after I give them the exact Probe part numbers do they concede that I am right. They give me a shipping number to send this kit back and start looking at getting me the right pistons to start balancing another kit for me.

At this point I felt like anyone can make an Honest mistake but the machinist that balanced the kit should have caught this but sh*t happens. Soooo a little while later that day I call back to see if they got the pistons and all the parts together and am told 6 to 8 weeks for the Probe SRS pistons for a 6" rod 383. Instead of waiting for that they would upgrade me to a JE/SRP. Well fine by me they are as good or better (better IMO) anyway.

This was on a friday so I wait and call back Monday afternoon and they say Yeah we got them.... it's and Icon blah blah number. I look this number up and it's the lowest grade Icon that really shouldn't be advertised as a forged piston. I say yeah I paid extra to get the SRS piston I want an SRS piston or equal. So we go round about how they have it for the 5.7 rod but not the 6.0 rod. Finally I say fine I'll accept a 5.7 rod. Probelm solved. Or so I thought.

2 weeks go by and no parts. So I call again(I should mention I hate bothering ppl and feeling like a pest). I get told they're senior tech/machinist will call me back in 5 minutes. The next day he calls and says What can we do to fix your engine. I reply that's a good question as I have yet to receive any parts. To Which he says well it's either wait for the SRS for the 6.0 rod or do the hypereutectic Icons. I remind him I agreed to use the 5.7 rods with the SRS piston and had expected my kit a week ago. He says Oh yeah I forgot we did settle on that. I will get this kit right out to you. Once again I feel the probelm is solved.

Today my kit arrives and I set about double checking every thing and measuring just so all is well before I take everything to the machine shop in the morning. I happen to notice while checking the crank that the first counter weight doesnt have the SCAT 9000 on it like all the other SCAT 9000 cranks I have seen so I look up the part number and damned if they didn't send me the $150 stock replacement crank Scat makes.

Now they won't answer my calls and because the way the invoice through paypal is worded it looks like I may be stuck with this crank/kit. So now I am so discouraged at this entire ordeal that I feel I should just sell all my stuff and go back to just cruising around on my scooter. What should have been a mildly pleasent few weekends spent with my son and a few friends working on this project has turned into one of the biggest Hassels I have ever had to deal with.

Sorry for the long post and the rant, just had to get this off my chest.

Last edited by Rannos; 03-21-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
81ShrtBox
MadMan

Re: Discouraged!

Keep calling... find their address and see if you can get someone to take a quick trip and pay a visit. They will try to get over on you if you let them. Dont give up. Call everyday 3x a day. post the number on here and have everyone call and ask for the guy that did you wrong.

Either 2 things will happen.
1. you will get your correct parts
2. he will get fired and you still get your parts.

its more than one way to skin a cat
Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

File item not recieved as descibed with paypal . They will here both sides of the story . I just got credit back on an expensive set of valve covers that didnt have the hardware even though the seller had no return in the ad .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
scottofksu

Does the companies name begin with the letter N? I'm getting ready to order a similar kit from a company that does their own balancing... If you're having problems with who I think you are, I'm thinking I might be better off getting the kit elsewhere and have it balanced locally... Also, I agree with Hotrod 80, do not stand for this! You've planned your engine and paid hard cash for your parts. Don't let them make your change. Stay strong brother! )
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

This has been hit on before . Get your money back or the parts that you want . Skip the balance job by the mail order otfit and take it to Bruce @ USA Racing AKA the wop shop . He you will get it back with an initail blance and grind marks from it being rechecked and fine balanced .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Rannos

Everything is sorted out now, kinda. Droped all my parts off to Jeff at Westside performance and machine. He double checked everything there and found something I would have missed untill my final assembly. They sent me non-moly stock replacement 5/64" rings instead of the moly 1/16" that was suppose to come with the kit. I am so tired of dealing with the people I ordered this from that I just asked Jeff to get me a set of the Hellfire rings he recommended me get. Should have my shortblock back in 2 to 3 weeks. Hope I can get the Disc brake conversion and new front and rear springs in between now and then. Working 6-7days atm so limits my time tinkering with the old beater.

Jay
Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Rannos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
This has been hit on before . Get your money back or the parts that you want . Skip the balance job by the mail order otfit and take it to Bruce @ USA Racing AKA the wop shop . He you will get it back with an initail blance and grind marks from it being rechecked and fine balanced .
Yeah Bruce and those guys did the work on Ronnie's 468 that was in his black Luv truck. They do great work but I have used Jeff a few times in the past and he has always treated me right and is very reasonable price wise. Kinda builds customer loyalty. As long as he is around and doing the quality work he is known to do, he will do all my machine work. Thanks for the info tho.

Jay