The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
*71SWB*

WTB Steering Column

I've been looking for a new complete black steering column (column shift) for my 1971 SWB. I tried to order one from CPP, they are back ordered til 1/14 and tried to order one from LMC (out of stock and have no idea when they will get them). The only one I can find in black is the IDIDIT and it's $833 plus the cost of the gear indicator, instillation kit, and the shift linkage. Anyone have any idea if there is another place to look? Maybe someone has one they will sell??
*71SWB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
FL71C10

Re: WTB Steering Column

do you want a tilt wheel?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

I have a black automatic column shift tilt wheel in Richmond, VA. In good condition but could use a re-paint. Has a new indicator piece and new handle kit to go with it. 400 picked up.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
*71SWB*

I would like a tilt.

VA72C10 - I'm looking for one that needs no work. Thanks though
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

check with 70shortfleet or kevs classics on this board
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
sprint_9

I found this article to be of great value, might be worth the time to read if you havent already.

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosh...ng_Columns.pdf
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossfatboy View Post
I would like a tilt.

VA72C10 - I'm looking for one that needs no work. Thanks though
This truck tilt is freshly restored and comes bolt in ready as pictured, column was completely taken apart down to every last clip, pin & screw then blasted to bare metal and repainted in high quality PPG paint shot from a gun (not a scuff and rattle can paint job here). This column got a new AC delco t/s switch, new turn & tilt levers, new chrome hazard knob, new shift lens, new shift pointer, new firewall & dash rubbers and an NOS cancel cam spring. Cost on this one is $495. and keep in mind this is a real GM tilt column & not the imported overseas junk that we are always getting calls for sevice or parts on. Could knock some off the price if you dont need/want the new turn/tilt levers, new hazard knob or GM NOS cam spring. Let me know, Mel.

Also: These ten downsized/reduced quality pictures do not really do the column justice, I can send fullsize pics to you by e-mail if wanted.

Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Five more pics...
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
sduckworth13

That is super nice, how much are you asking for the column?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
sduckworth13

Never mind just seen the cost, that is a great deal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Karl's Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Bowties View Post
This truck tilt is freshly restored and comes bolt in ready as pictured, column was completely taken apart down to every last clip, pin & screw then blasted to bare metal and repainted in high quality PPG paint shot from a gun (not a scuff and rattle can paint job here). This column got a new AC delco t/s switch, new turn & tilt levers, new chrome hazard knob, new shift lens, new shift pointer, new firewall & dash rubbers and an NOS cancel cam spring. Cost on this one is $495. and keep in mind this is a real GM tilt column & not the imported overseas junk that we are always getting calls for sevice or parts on. Could knock some off the price if you dont need/want the new turn/tilt levers, new hazard knob or GM NOS cam spring. Let me know, Mel.

Also: These ten downsized/reduced quality pictures do not really do the column justice, I can send fullsize pics to you by e-mail if wanted.

Hi Mel, I was unable to send a PM as your inbox was full. I am interested in your rebuilt tilt column. It looked really great in your pics. Do you rebuild these frequently? What would the shipping cost to area code 29307 be? What are your payment arrangements? Do you accept PayPal?

Please PM reply.

Thanks,
Karl
Posted via Mobile Device
Karl's Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Never mind just seen the cost, that is a great deal
, especially when you consider the above pictured new parts alone come in around $150. plus the cost of the ppg paint, primer & reducer and another thing to also factor in is that these days old ratty/crusty pull out tilts with all original crappy parts are still bringing $300.-$350. and still need completely gone thru yet. Mel
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
, especially when you consider the above pictured new parts alone come in around $150. plus the cost of the ppg paint, primer & reducer and another thing to also factor in is that these days old ratty/crusty pull out tilts with all original crappy parts are still bringing $300.-$350. and still need completely gone thru yet. Mel
That's a fantastic deal!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
Karl's Kustoms

Quote:
Mel, I will take it pending reasonable shipping costs. PM me the details and your payment preferences.

Thanks,
Karl
Posted via Mobile Device
Karl's Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
*71SWB*

I will take the column as shown with all new parts for the 495. Looks awesome. Is their a number I can call you at? Or can you call me at 804-815-1603
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl's Kustoms View Post
Hi Mel, I was unable to send a PM as your inbox was full. I am interested in your rebuilt tilt column. It looked really great in your pics. Do you rebuild these frequently? What would the shipping cost to area code 29307 be? What are your payment arrangements? Do you accept PayPal?

Please PM reply.

Thanks,
Karl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl's Kustoms View Post
Mel, I will take it pending reasonable shipping costs. PM me the details and your payment preferences.

Thanks,
Karl
Hi Karl, the above pictured tilt was offered to dossfatboy (the original thread poster), so he has first right of refusal on this one. If he should pass, it would then become available and up for grabs, the fully insured shipping cost on these tilts has been running in the $35.-$45. range for the lower 48. We do have two more tilts (one auto & one manual) both in PPG black coming together right now, should be getting the finishing touches on them both by this weekend. If any questions or for better pics I can be reached at the below e-mail address or number. Thanks for your understanding and interest, Mel.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #17
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Years ago we looked at the major after market tilt manufacturers and could have chosen any for our brand. We chose Flaming River for best quality and pricing. They are designed after our trucks, not Impalas, and they are stainless---not cheap steel or aluminum.
I have a polished SS & chrome AT model in stock for $695, and a raw SS model (called "paintable") for $595.
Both include expensive one-piece handles (not cheap shaft & knob), indicator and splined bottom shafts for direct plug-n-play into our truck's intermediate shafts.
I haven't pulled the thread up for a while, but will if there is any new interest.

Remember, I have also featured an SS floor shift model with great sale prices on here from time-to-time. Let me know if I can help. thanks, frank
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #18
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossfatboy View Post
I will take the column as shown with all new parts for the 495. Looks awesome. Is their a number I can call you at? Or can you call me at 804-815-1603
Here are a couple pictures of the auto shift linkage that we talked about, this setup covers 2wd small block with auto th350 or th400. The fully insured fedex ground 5 day shipping came in @ $42.52 with two day bumping it up to$151.64 if sent fully insured. The zip that you sent for the shipping quote is coming up as Saluda, VA? Thanks again, Mel.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
BigBlockNuts

Hey bro I have an original truck tilt that's been taken completely apart sand blasted primed pained new rubbers new switches new bearing retainer cover for bearing retainer has been cad plated as well as the bolt an all linkage hardware. New tilt arm/turn signal arm. New shiift arm arm an knob. New pointer/indicator an lense an housing. Now were u looking for the stock look or the billet an chrome look for the indicator housing, shift knob, hazard button, ends of ur turn signal arm an tilt arm would have billet ends. All three arms would have billet ends and the hazard knob would b billet the part that would b chrome is the indicaror housing. The stock look one would run $525.00 shipped an the billet an chrome would b $600 00 shipped fully insured. Please let me know if iterested an ill post up some pix. Feel free to call me @ 714-657-5413 CODEMAN
Posted via Mobile Device
BigBlockNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

dossfatboy, your tilt column and auto tranny linkage setup went out fedex ground today 9/5, the projected delivery date listed on the receipt is next Thur. 9/12. Thanks again, Mel.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
PT'S 70 CST
"GO DAWGS"

How much would a auto non tilt restored factory column run. I have a buddy that wants one and I have one that needs some work and was wondering if it would be in his best interest to just buy one that is ready to bolt in.

Thanks PT
94 SILVERADO SWB 5/7 drop
2000 Silverado swb
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 (Surprisingly very fast)
2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali
BATESBURG, SC. 29006
Some of my restorations
http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/thu...NAME=snapfish/
Restored Tach tins 8 cyl - 6 cyl
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518185
Contact info(Not my paypal address) DAWGSFAN227@YAHOO.COM

God Bless Our Troops
PT'S 70 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
*71SWB*

I received the steering column and it is currently being installed. WOW what an awesome column. I would highly recommend anyone who is in need of one to contact Mel at Classic Bowties. They are top notch quality and in new condition. Very Impressed...