The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
jmsaunders

Lightbulb Re-arch or new leaf springs

I'm working on the rear suspension for my 54 (3100) Chevy truck and need to lower the rear end. I've already lowered the front with 2 1/2" drop spindles and like where it sits. It currently has 8 leaves in each leaf pack. My intent is to build a safe daily driver that I can be proud to ride down the road with my wife in or toss the keys to friend and not worry about there being 'safety' issues.

I've been told that I can just have some of the leaves removed, have them re-arched and add lowering blocks if needed to get the rake that I want. However, my concern is that I've heard that since I no longer have a torque tube rear end I run the chance of having axle warp. (mind you it's a pretty stock 350/350 combo in the truck with an engine I pulled from a van so at best it has a rv cam).

If that's an issue then I'd rather spend the money and get a multi-leaf conversion kit like this one from cpp http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ks/4754RLK.htm

Or is it possible to swap out my rear hanger and run 2 1/2 springs that I pick up from a local pick and pull? It still sits on the original frame (in the rear at least 75 Nove front sub frame). So not sure if this is possible with minimum fab skills or an idea that just looks easier than it actually is.

yes I know that I can 4-link it instead but I'm building a daily driver and don't plan to run air in the back. (plans to hopefully add bags to the front next year)

I'm also open to ideas to hear how others would tackle the rear suspension.
J'ai
pic is of where the front currently sits, just a lil bit over the tire.
Attached Images

jmsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Re-arch or new leaf springs

I would inspect the original spring pack and verify that its in good condition. If all the springs are deemed safe, then try removing 2-3 of the shorter leafs from the bottom. You can use two C-clamps to hold the springs together while you remove the center pin. Remove the lower leaves and reverse the procedure with a new center pin.

As long as the OEM springs are in good condition, its worth a try.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote