The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Matt300ZXT

Where to find info on swapping to 5 lug?

I can't seem to find any good FAQs on how to do this. I've searched here and on the net and it's not bringing up anything really useful. I've got a 54 and have crappy wheel options, so if I can convert to 5 lug and get tons of options, I'm down. Anyone have a link or two?
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: Where to find info on swapping to 5 lug?

As well as I can remember you use 53-54 car stuff to convert the front IF you are staying with drums. The rear depends on whether you are staying closed driveline or not. HTH Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Matt300ZXT

So if I want to go with disc up front, am I stuck with those kits from like Classic Perform or is there factory GM parts I can pick from? And if I'm putting a SBC in, I guess I'm going to have to go with a standard driveline as I want to use a 4 speed behind the v8.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
So if I want to go with disc up front, am I stuck with those kits from like Classic Perform or is there factory GM parts I can pick from? And if I'm putting a SBC in, I guess I'm going to have to go with a standard driveline as I want to use a 4 speed behind the v8.
Yes you will need to use some ones kit in the front, they aren't that expensive. Find a 60-62 inch wide rear end that matches the front pattern you chose and you are good to go. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
raycow

Speedway has brackets that let you use stock 11" Chevelle/Camaro rotors and calipers on the original truck spindles. The only downside is that you have to machine the spindles to fit the inner bearings. This isn't a hard job, and any machine shop should be able to do it.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

The kit I bought used 70's mid-sized GM rotors and did not require any machining. I used the rear from a '73 Chevelle so when I need brake parts I'll specific '73 Chevelle front and rear.

Best to plan from the start to go dual master and replumb the brake lines at the same time.

You can do the '53-'54 front drum swap but the parts are going to be hard to find and you'll still have drum brakes.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Matt300ZXT

I found the kit I'm going to use. That Speedway kit using the 70-77 Camaro parts will work great for me. I never even thought to look what Speedway offered, thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post
The kit I bought used 70's mid-sized GM rotors and did not require any machining.
Steve, please tell where your kit came from and how it handled the bearing issue. Did it use special bearings which you have to get from that particular vendor?

Ray
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

I bought the kit about 8 years ago, but I think I got it from ChevyDuty. I've since become unhappy with them and don't like recommending them.

The kit included a bushing that went on the spindle to fit the inner bearing and seal. I believe the inner bearing and seal came with the kit.

The outer bearing came with the rotor. I bought new new rotors and calipers for the '73 Chevelle.

I did this conversion 8 years ago come November so my memory of the project could be faulty. I converted to a dual master with no power at the same time. I've driven it more than 10,000 miles since with no brake issues except I've got a leak somewhere and have to add brake fluid from time to time. If I let it go too long I end up bleeding the rear brakes, which should tell me where the leak is...

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
raycow

Steve, thanks for explaining about the kit. That bushing sounds like a good solution for the bearing problem.

Ray