The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
findog78

T5 question

I went to buy a T5 WC off CL today. Supposed to be rebuilt 4K ago and the numbers (written in wht pen by trans shop) checked out for ratios I wanted. Got there to check it out and first thing I look for is the stamped bearing on front...its there...check. Its got my bolt pattern...check. Then I notice it has 90WT in it...not Dextron? Im thinking WTF? He tries to tell me the tranny shop put it in for break in? Then says his dad took it out of car for a whining noise but turned out to be TO bearing? Sounds like BS so I pass. It was hard passing up the sale but it just didnt feel right?
My question is can the non WC T5 be rebuilt with that stamped bearing cap to look like and WC trans and what kind of damage will 90WT in a WC T5 do? Did he put 90WT in WC trans and trash it?
findog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
motorcritter

Re: T5 question

Gear oil will damage the fiber-based synchro rings in a WC. ATF is recommended for WC's. Gear oil is for NWC's, although I've read where any number of lubes could be used. To make sure if it's WC or NWC, pull the old off and look for brass synchros (NWC) or fiber synchros (WC). The WC synchros don't look metallic, not shiny, like brass. I don't think a NWC case can get doctored to look like a WC. But without the printed tag stuck on the box, or a metal tag (which may or may not belong to that unit), internal inspection is necessary to allay all doubts.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
findog78

I tried to get the cover off for inspection in the parking lot but couldn't. There is a procedure with the shifter shaft I wasn't aware of? Then the guy started hitting the cover with a hammer and it only came out far enough to see the o-ring. Never did come off nor would it go back on to line up the cover bolt holes.
findog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
jocko

Should be able to tell WC vs NWC by looking at the front face without teardown.
See the first two pics for differences - they are slight, but a good ID tool.
http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm
If you have a WC, it will be valuable peace of mind to take it to a shop to check it out and replace any damaged parts. I did a whole swap myself, then accidentally dumped metal shavings into the sealed case when doing a heli-coil. Mutta finger... Anyway, might as well confirm now.

A couple refs for you:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
motorcritter

Stripping the case to look in it- the tailshaft housing needs to come off. There's a roll pin that holds the shifter selector block to the selector rod- drive it out and pull the tail off the selector shaft. The cover should be sealed with black RTV, but don't beat on the case cover too much- once it's off, inspection can proceed. That's the quickie version, there's a couple good tutorials on these gearboxes that will show the exact way to do it right.