The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM   #1
Chaparralman1974

67-68 Reproduction Hood

Morning all!

I have been trying to work out the warpage and "oil canning" on my hood, but to no avail. There is a ton of warpage that I just can't seem to get out. I am wondering if it would be best to just replace the hood altogether. In reading through some older threads, it would seem that the hoods were hit and miss in the past. I even saw that GMC Paul's would not sell the 67-68 hoods due to fitment issues. Then it looks like in 2017, he started to sell them, but I could not find them on his site. Am I out of luck, or should I roll the dice on a repop hood?

Thanks, Clay
Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #2
jeffahart

Re: 67-68 Reproduction Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
Morning all!

I have been trying to work out the warpage and "oil canning" on my hood, but to no avail. There is a ton of warpage that I just can't seem to get out. I am wondering if it would be best to just replace the hood altogether. In reading through some older threads, it would seem that the hoods were hit and miss in the past. I even saw that GMC Paul's would not sell the 67-68 hoods due to fitment issues. Then it looks like in 2017, he started to sell them, but I could not find them on his site. Am I out of luck, or should I roll the dice on a repop hood?

Thanks, Clay
I would call and talk to these guys. Premier Street Rod. You could probably even go over to Havasu and look at one of their hoods; and if you like it bring it home. You need to work the phones and talk to some of these hot rod shops and listen to what they have to say about todays hoods. Most guys will give you a few minutes.

https://www.premierstreetrod.com/det..._Standard.html

Good luck!

j
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #3
Chaparralman1974

Thanks Jeff! I will give them a call.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #4
jeffahart

Quote:
Thanks Jeff! I will give them a call.
There are a few hot rod shops out here that build these things and get good bucks for them. You should pick three local shops, call them or stop by. See what they have to say... you will be glad you did. Most builders don't participate in these forums. You need to catch them at a car show or ambush them at their shop or on the phone. All are good dudes and will share info. Maybe even do your hood for you.

j
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #5
Chaparralman1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
There are a few hot rod shops out here that build these things and get good bucks for them. You should pick three local shops, call them or stop by. See what they have to say... you will be glad you did. Most builders don't participate in these forums. You need to catch them at a car show or ambush them at their shop or on the phone. All are good dudes and will share info. Maybe even do your hood for you.

j
Thanks Jeff, yeah I have been calling around all morning. I have tried several places in both Phoenix and the east valley. Everyone that I have chatted with thus far says to go with a repop. Rust Speed Shop said that they don't mess with it anymore at all and that they mostly just sell parts now. I was searching on CL and found a '67 hood down the road and decided to pick it up. It needs some work, but it is better than I have so I will give it a shot and see what happens. Also, I did reach out to GMC Pauls and they don't recommend any of the existing repop 67-68 hoods either, so I may be stuck for awhile unless the other used hood works out. Worse case is that I just move onto another part of the truck for now. :-)

Clay
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #6
jeffahart

You could always back off from semi- perfection and go the semi-patina route. Checkout the May edition of CK Truck Magazine. They have a multi page layout of a shined up (semi-patina) truck with dents and scratches. They rave about the truck, no article or verbiage about the build, just a multi page photo layout. Pretty interesting the way everyone looks at classics and body work and paint now. Check out how much this K went for on BAT. Anyhow, good luck with the new hood. You will get there soon, I'm sure of it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-k20-pickup-3/

j
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Go over here-

https://www.allmetalshaping.com/index.php

And ask around. This is a nice bunch of people who can steer you right, with your hood.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #8
Chaparralman1974

Quote:
You could always back off from semi- perfection and go the semi-patina route. Checkout the May edition of CK Truck Magazine. They have a multi page layout of a shined up (semi-patina) truck with dents and scratches. They rave about the truck, no article or verbiage about the build, just a multi page photo layout. Pretty interesting the way everyone looks at classics and body work and paint now. Check out how much this K went for on BAT. Anyhow, good luck with the new hood. You will get there soon, I'm sure of it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-k20-pickup-3/

j

I think that I am too far in at this point to go with the Patina look. :-) In retrospect however, I would have gone that way to just get the truck up and running. I would have been driving it by now.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #9
Chaparralman1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Go over here-

https://www.allmetalshaping.com/index.php

And ask around. This is a nice bunch of people who can steer you right, with your hood.
Thanks Steven! I will check it out.

Clay
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #10
jeffahart

Quote:
I think that I am too far in at this point to go with the Patina look. :-) In retrospect however, I would have gone that way to just get the truck up and running. I would have been driving it by now.
Ya, I knew that. I'm not a huge fan of the full out patina like that BAT truck. Mine is kind of a semi patina, used with a few dents, a bit of rust... but still shines up and looks decent from 20 feet. Keep at it, you're getting close.

j
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #11
Chaparralman1974

Quote:
Ya, I knew that. I'm not a huge fan of the full out patina like that BAT truck. Mine is kind of a semi patina, used with a few dents, a bit of rust... but still shines up and looks decent from 20 feet. Keep at it, you're getting close.

j

The closer I get, the farther away it seems! :-) I have been cranking along on the body work. I have the cab, doors, and front fenders done and in high build primer. I am going to update my build thread shortly.

Clay
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Thanks Steven! I will check it out.

Clay
You're welcome! Those guys do some amazing sheet metal work, along with other types of stock.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #13
68Gold/white

I helped out a fellow member, here, a couple of years ago. I had 2-67/68 hoods. He had bought a cowl induction reproduction hood, and tried to make it work. he may have scrapped it, it was so far off from fitting. He was thrilled to get my hoods....
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM   #14
Jason Banks

I put a reproduction 67/68 hood on a truck. I bought the hood in the Dallas area from a guy on craigslist that was in the business of selling sheet metal. The one I got had a small dent so I got a deal.

I was going to just strip and paint the hood on my 68 and when I pulled the front trim off it had tons of rust holes. I was up to my ears in bodywork and had already metal worked the rest of the truck and didn't want to stop and fix the factory hood.

I got the repop and it fit up to the factory fenders really nice, not perfect, but good enough. The thing that bugged me majorly was there is a small scallop at the front of the the hood that the repops don't have. The front angled surface of the repops is flat all the way to where it bends to the horizontal part of the hood.

Once I was done with the truck, it was job one to get the factory hood repaired and painted. I gave the repop to a boardmember and last time I was at his place it was laying in the bed of one of his other trucks.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #15
68 C10 Driver

I am still in the middle of getting my 68 stepper truck restored. I bought a new re-pop hood a while back and looked it over and took measurements against my old hood and it appears to be spot on. I cannot remember off-hand who I bought it through, but I will go and look at the box at my first opportunity. I have been having great luck with replacement panels and patches. The fitment issues may be a thing in the past with the better known brands. I would avoid the low-buck Chinesium knock-offs though. I think it is a TriPlus hood. I would also look into if Key Parts makes a 67-68 C10 hood.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #16
Chaparralman1974

Well, I found a hood yesterday on Craigslist. It isn't perfect, but it isn't all that bad either. Worse case scenario, I will go with that one. I have been hammering away at the original hood and have done a sh!t load of heat shrinking, so I think I have all the oil canning out of it. I am going to now put some filler on it to see what happens. Like I said, worse case scenario is that I will go with the other one. I think that I will abstain from the repops for now.

Clay