The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Richs'55

GVW Body Tag info. & Question

I have been starting to tear apart my '55 3100 (or so I thought) the last couple of days. I bought the truck in July/ August and kind of just let it sit until this winter when I would have time to tear it down and start the rebuild (I will post pics of my rebuild in another thread in the next day or so.

But came across something that kind of peaked my interest today. I found the GVW Body tag (didn't really see it before because it was covered up by layers of paint. Don't know if previous owners/ cobblers were trying to cover it up or just didn't know any better.

Anyway, here is a picture of it after I tried to clean as much paint off of it as I could without ruining it completely.

What is this 19,500 #GVW mean? Is it not a 1/2 ton originally? Cab is the same as a 1/2 ton, isn't it?
Also, tell me what you get out of the trim and paint codes. Trim stamped STD and paint stamped 769.

Somebody previously put this cab on a 4 wheel drive chassis (I was told it was a '87 frame). I plan on gong back onto a 81'C-10 chassis that is 2 whell drive. More on my whole story with this truck later.

Thanks for the help.
Richs'55 is offline   Reply With Quote