The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
PA-IndianRider

It was bound to happen... V8 swap on the way

As many of you know I picked up a G-Body El Camino last Fall. A southern car (alabama) V-6 three speed on the floor. I have driven it ALL WINTER as my daily driver having only to replace the battery. But like most "piston heads" I have been constantly thinking about swapping the six for a SBC. I have a 350 on an engine stand in my workshop that I thought of using "as is". Then I thought I would do a "mild rebuild" so I tore down the 350 so I could send it to the machine to have it checked out, magnafluxed, etc.

Then I LUCKILY came across an ENGINE & TRANNY for sale than will cost me less than to rebuild the 350 in my workshop. The brother of a guy who works at a shop I deal with is selling me a 350 (.030 over) - 4 bolt - that only has about 3k on it since a "machine shop" rebuild. It's a street/strip setup that was used in his "daily driver" G-Body 2dr sedan. Performer manifold - 650 Holley double pumper - MSD Ignition - Chet Herbert Roller Cam - Roller rockers - 10 to 1 compression - Vortec Heads and a 5 speed. A great deal.... for a change. Plus I get to use the shop to pull the six out, clean-up the engine compartment & undercarriage and detail it out before swapping in the 350.

I'm excited about the swap and especially the fact that I got a "break" for a change. I usually hear about deals like this just after someone else gets the deal.
Attached Images

"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 03-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

Re: It was bound to happen... V8 swap on the way

ooooo Nice elky, should be Fun!!! i always seem to have a good time with 3 pedels and a SBC

Last edited by joeys66pickup; 03-30-2009 at 06:30 PM.
joeys66pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Way to go! It's nice when they fall in your lap-

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Good for you for keeping your ears open for the good deal. And good for you for supporting arab oil and Al-Anabi racing (LOL).
ROTF, I knew you wouldn't last long with the V-6. I don't care how reliable they may be, something about only 6 spark plugs that rubs against the motor-head grain.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Good for you for keeping your ears open for the good deal. ....
Yes, 3 pedal driving is fun... even with the V6 (with dual pipes) it's makes driving more enjoyable. The V* will be awesome... plus the engine is somewhat "peppy" yet OK for street driving even in our western PA winters if it comes to that.

There is no doubt I am slowly but surely getting "carried away" with the El C.

Got doors & rear body panels to spruce up the body with plans to add a Z28 Camaro frontend.

Even though the Elky was originally intended for daily use to get me to get me to my post retirement "part time job" I see it making it into a "cruiser" that will spend some time at the drag strip.

The owner never dynoed the engine but claims it has around 400 horses. WoW I 'll definately be having fun keepin' that light rearend going straight.

Yes Marv, you were right.... "I wouldn't last long"....HA!!!

Next thing....looking for a grand national or 9" F**D posi rear and some suspension beefing up cause I know that 10 bolt won't last long.

What gear ratio should I be looking for to mate with the T-5 - 5 speed that will serve me on the strip and the street as well???? .... I only drive 3 miles each way to work each day.

BTW...Marv... like the looks of your Elky.... is the frontend "raised" some or???
Where were You in '62 ?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Marv D

John the front suspension is all new MOOG replacement parts right down to the small block replacement springs. Because everything is new and stiff it sets way too high in the front with the 17" front wheels. I'm hopeing it will 'settle' once I get it out and bouncing around the streets a little.

Finished mounting my own custom speaker mount/enclosures behind the seats last night. Elky's are a MAJOR PITA to find places for speakers without cutting up kick panels or doors which I was NOT going to do!!! The early Elky came with just ONE speaker in the center of the dash.
Ummm I like my PinkFloyd just a little too much for ONE speaker. Found one of the best 're-creations' for the early radios is the folks at Vintage Auto Radio and is heads above that USA custom Autosound imported CRAP. Put a Profile amp and a pair of Polk Momo components in the rear corner enclosures. I'll get pictures up soon. Came out quite nice even if I do say so myself

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Marv D

Oh, and don't be selling that 10bolt short. We just put a new bullet in my buddy Dana's 74 Nova. He has the original 8.5" 10bolt rear, filled with Moser axles and spool, C'clip eliminators and welded tubes. First passes last weekend were 10.2's at 130 footbraking. The 10bolt is more rugged than people give credit for if you fill it with decent parts. Your gonna have to buy axles, carrier and gears for the 9" anyways, I'd sure give the 10bolt a chance.

Last edited by Marv D; 03-31-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Oh, and don't be selling that 10bolt short. We just put a new bullet in my buddy Dana's 74 Nova. He has the original 8.5" 10bolt rear, filled with Moser axles and spool, C'clip eliminators and welded tubes. First passes last weekend were 10.2's at 130 footbraking. The 10bolt is more rugged than people give credit for if you fill it with decent parts. Your gonna have to buy axles, carrier and gears for the 9" anyways, I'd sure give the 10bolt a chance.
Marv... you are the 1st person I ever had speak so favorably of the 10 bolt. Makes sense to do what you recommend especially when I only plan to have "fun" at the strip from time to time and NOT as a weekly drag car. If NOT just for the "fun of it" I'd be sansing the 5 speed for powerglide or turbo and a 9" or grand national 12 bolt reaend.

There is NO doubt that the stock 10 bolt with single wheel drive is lacking in both traction control & strength. I'll make some calls about getting the right "goodies" for the 10 bolt and go from there.

Yes, speaker location is lacking in an Elky. Was thinking of having some "fun" with fiberglass and make some enclosures for the 9" speakers I have. Just like on "Unique Whips" ..... HA!!! I'm already going to do some fiberglass work on a "rear rollpan" that I plan to add six 63-67 Vette tail lights to.

And finally ... about the suspension.... I kinda like the way yours is sitting. Reminds me of how the cars of the mid-late 60's sat. I 've been thinking of dropping the rear 2" and having the front sit higher just a little bit. The thing is the Elky rides SO NICE in it's STOCK worn out state so I really don't want to mess with it too much. It's a nice mushy ride but the "piston head blood" in me keeps wanting to "fix it up" (aka hot rod it)... Once a hot rodder... always a hot rodder!!!! I'm in GOOD COMPANY here on this website!!!!
Attached Images

Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 03-31-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
djracer

A good GN rear is expensive. They start about 800 and go to double that. I do know where some of them are if you want one.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
A good GN rear is expensive. They start about 800 and go to double that. I do know where some of them are if you want one.
Thanks DJ.... I'm going to make a few local calls today to check on availibility & prices.

Yesterday I talked to a guy who has a store on eBay that specializes in rearend parts to complete turn key 9" Ford rearends.
( http://stores.ebay.com/Quick-Performance-Racing )

A complete 9 incher with Moser axles, etc with either a drum or disc brake package sells for around $1800 or so. Seems a bit pricey but it gives me a starting point to look/shop from.

I've heard the Grand national rearends can also cost around $1800. No matter what I do I know the stock setup has to go.

Thanks.... more later...
Where were You in '62 ?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Marv D

<grins ear to ear>
OK I'm only gonna say it one more time then I'll shut up.....
They say a picture is worth a thousand words so.. Here is my buddy's 74 Nova, SBC of course, TH350, 8.5" 10 bolt, 4.10 Richmond gear, Auburn posi and this picture was what I used to convince him to change from STOCK axles to Moser axles and C-clip eliminators. The car was running 10.90's then. About 2 years in the high 10's and he changed to a spool and a little more motor. Still the stock 10bolt upgraded to all Moser inners running 10.2's now.
Check out these 2 pictures and we'll call it a 2 thousand word essay and I won't mention it again

(pictures are huge so I'll just post links)

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/dana1.JPG

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/dana2.JPG

Probably total investiment in the rear..
$280 for axles
$400 Auburn cone type posi
$180 Richmond gears
C'clip eliminators are what??? $120

So $700 to $800 for new guts in a 10 bolt, weld the tubes and although not bulletproof, pretty darn stout.

vs bulletproof...

Here is the $1600 pro gear Strange aluminum centersection from the Nova. Add $650 for Mark Williams axles and you still need a housing with bracketry!
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/str9in.jpg

You can make pretty much anything bulletproof if your willing to spend the $'s, but in some cases (such as upgraded 10bolt vs stock 12 bolt) you have to weigh where the $'s are best spent.

Last edited by Marv D; 04-01-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
djracer

I have a buddy that had a 76 camaro with one (big 10 bolt)that held up good also. His had all the stuff you mentioned plus a spool and the big aluminum girdle on the back but that car ran low 6's eighth mile for a long time then he sold the car and I haven't seen it in a while.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
pro street 70

74 nova has a 8.5 inch rear your car has a 7.5 rear.my buddys el camino has a 7.5 in it with a 454 and we ran it 10 times befor we snaped a axel .car ran its best time of 11.95 @ 115.00 with drag radials 4100lbs street car.changing to a 9 inch mini tub now.we new the rear would not last