The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
tfen2001

Tranny & Rear end ratios

I have a '64 C10 with 292 cubes. The truck tops out at 50-55 mph so I'm looking for help on how to get more top end out of her. I pulled the diff cover to determine the ratio and found it is a 3.73 ratio. At some point I'd like to drop in a 350 with a manual 4 speed. This maybe a dumb question but upgrading to a 350 4-speed won't change the top end speed, right? So, I'll need to go to a lower ratio in the rear end, right? That being said, I think this may be a 12-bolt posi but I'm not sure how to ID a posi. There are some small coil type springs in the carrier. I haven't been able to find any pics that would show whether this is a posi or not. With the rear wheels off the ground, both wheels spin in the same direction - does that mean anything? Thanks for the help.
tfen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
apachedaddy

Re: Tranny & Rear end ratios

From what you wrote that is a posi.. But that matters not if you want to go to a higher gear you will have to change out the diff any way. 3:73 is the highest gear that will bolt to your current diff. Series 3 or 4 are what I think they are called. So to change the gears you’re looking at a new diff with new gears to make the change. Plenty of threads on here on the subject just do a search and they will pop up. Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
raycow

Another way would be to keep the rear you have now and replace your transmission with one that has overdrive. This might be less work and money than buying a new posi and gears and paying someone to set it up.

That's what I did in my 60 because I couldn't find a rear with better gears that would have installed without welding. I used a 5 speed out of an S-10 and would recommend the same if you have a 4 speed now. If you have a 3 speed, you can get a 3 speed with overdrive that will almost be a bolt-in.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
old cruiser

You could also change wheel / tyre diametre
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
tfen2001

Wow! You guys are fantastic! I'm new to the forum having just bought my '64 last summer and tinkering with it since then. I appreciate all the helpful advice and comments. Finding this forum makes a hobby that much more fun. I'll search as noted and thanks again for your thoughts.
tfen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote