The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #1
jumpsoffrock

Did power steering change steering wheel diameter?

The steering wheel in my manual steering 1 ton is mega trashed, it works but it's just a skeleton and electrical tape at this point.

I decided I would try finding a usable factory original, But I am having a hard time finding a good price for an original stock unit; and I'm also worried that there might be several different sizes for trucks with PS or without PS, making selecting the correct one harder.

I read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Original 3-Spokes .....'67/'68 =16.5" O.D.
Original 2-Spoke........'69/'72 = 17" [or 17.5" ?] O.D.
Was this for all trucks, regardless of PS?

I guess that means for the most effortless steering I shouldn't use a 67-68 3spoke?

Thank you.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:34 AM   #2
Richard

Re: Did power steering change steering wheel diameter?

Stock steering wheels all the same diameter as far as I know. 17"-17.5" for later models. Maybe a bit smaller for earlier ones? A reproduction two spoke 15" diameter wheel is available. Seems to be of good quality, had one in hand but sold it and went another route due to my own reasons.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Stock steering wheels all the same diameter as far as I know. 17"-17.5" for later models. Maybe a bit smaller for earlier ones? A reproduction two spoke 15" diameter wheel is available. Seems to be of good quality, had one in hand but sold it and went another route due to my own reasons.
I picked up one of these 15" repo's last year for my refresh. Replaced the 15" Vega GT wheel I had installed previously. I like the combination of OEM looks and smaller dia with my power steering.
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

"Armstrong" steering.

I remember watching my Mom parallel park my Dad's 1970 C10 with a 4 speed and no power steering. Man she was a tough lady. Some days she would tell me or my brother, "When I start backing up, help me pull on the wheel."

Maybe it's just me, but my 72 GMC steering wheel with power steering seems smaller than the 70 without power steering.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:41 AM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
The steering wheel in my manual steering 1 ton is mega trashed, it works but it's just a skeleton and electrical tape at this point.

I decided I would try finding a usable factory original, But I am having a hard time finding a good price for an original stock unit; and I'm also worried that there might be several different sizes for trucks with PS or without PS, making selecting the correct one harder.

I read this:

I guess that means for the most effortless steering I shouldn't use a 67-68 3spoke?

Thank you.
Damn! Now I'm an expert!?

The greater the wheel diameter, the easier it is to horse around the Armstrong Steering System. Funny, as P/S became more common in this series of trucks, GM went to a larger diameter steering wheel anyway.
Wheel size was standard for the model year, no factory custom wheels. The Aftermarket is all over that.
Personaly, I prefer the '67/'68 3-Spoke wheel for the way it fits the hand, and the 6 O'clock spoke helps in a heavy turn. I may even put a '68 wheel on my '71 GMC for my own amusement.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:43 AM   #6
custom10nut

Quote:
Where is this 15” reproduction wheel available?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:25 AM   #7
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
"Armstrong" steering.

I remember watching my Mom parallel park my Dad's 1970 C10 with a 4 speed and no power steering. Man she was a tough lady. Some days she would tell me or my brother, "When I start backing up, help me pull on the wheel."

Maybe it's just me, but my 72 GMC steering wheel with power steering seems smaller than the 70 without power steering.

Gary

My truck didn’t have Power Steering or Power Brakes when I bought it.
I remember my arms being wore out at the end of the day.
I would park at the far end of the Parking Lot to avoid having to muscle the wheel around to get parked. The manual brakes around town, were another issue all together.
In 1998 I found both setups off two different trucks, and it became a whole new truck.
Now I can steer with one finger, and don’t have to stand on the brake pedal to stop.
I still have the 4 wheel drums, but I’m doing the disc conversion this summer
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #8
CUSTOM/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Where is this 15” reproduction wheel available?
Most all the vendors carry the 69-72 original style 15" wheels now.
I would think you'd at least want to have power steering, might be tough on a 1 ton manual steering truck !

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #9
RichardJ

I enjoyed GASoline's story about his Mother.

To me, this story needs to be about PS and AC in these old trucks. Better brakes are important, but you're not going to get out of your truck at your destination dripping with sweat because it has drum brakes.

Tugging on a big manual wheel with no AC takes all the fun out of driving an old truck in really hot weather.
I actually put twice as many miles a year on my GMC as I do my '18 RAM 3500 SLT.
The GMC is even easier to park than the RAM with rear Camera and F/R Park sensors.

Don't be afraid to look at mid '80s GM wheels. Many of the pre-airbag wheels have nice fat padded rims.
I have a '86 Z24 Cavalier wheel on my GMC. It measures just under 15", bolted right on and the '67 GMC horn button fits perfectly.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:20 PM   #10
jumpsoffrock

I like my manual steering and am keeping it. One less thing to leak or need replaced, or rob power.

With that being said I can't have a 15" wheel, I need at least 16-17".

Orange sunshine, I'm glad you saw that I quoted you, I appreciate your knowledge. I have considered the advantages of a 3spoke compared to a 2 spoke. My '67 2-ton has a 3 spoke and I like it.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:32 AM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
I like my manual steering and am keeping it. One less thing to leak or need replaced, or rob power.

With that being said I can't have a 15" wheel, I need at least 16-17".

Orange sunshine, I'm glad you saw that I quoted you, I appreciate your knowledge. I have considered the advantages of a 3spoke compared to a 2 spoke. My '67 2-ton has a 3 spoke and I like it.
I appreciate the shout, my friend.

I still have a '67 K/10 Suburban. In the '90s tried to put a C/10 '69 P/S gear box on it. Didn't work. Powerplant was BBC 454. P/S pump worked perfect. Bad steering geometry, made me take off the whole Power Steering package and reinstall my old manual steering gearbox. JB welded a crack on the back of the case. The OEM draglink had been hacked by tireshop mechs, on my direction. Now I needed a 1-ton draglink to replace it. Never got the steering balance back right again. Solution will be a whole ['69 - '73] DANA 44 Front clip with power brakes, P/S standard and low ratio gearbox.
Anyway, -- to get over the sideslap from the Armstrong when that Beast ''came about'' I sheathed the spokes and circumferance of the wheel in 1/2'' black rubber foam ''Piping Insulation [DonkeyDick]'' and taped it all around with black friction tape.
With a padded Three Spoke, I was rockin' the turns like Steamboat Willie.

Attached Images

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-05-2022 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:08 AM   #12
Richard

I did not recommend a smaller wheel for manual steering, that would be ridiculous. Just pointing out the different size wheel I know of. Stock size two spoke reproduction wheels also available, never had one. Some have said they are more flexible than stock ones.
Apologize to OP for intrusion, for those looking for the 15' wheel. one of my go to sites https://www.classicparts.com/1969-72...tinfo/32-426L/ Available in other colors as well, listed separately. Just search.

Last edited by Richard; 03-05-2022 at 05:21 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:19 AM   #13
'68OrangeSunshine

Wheel with insulation:
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2022, 06:49 AM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:

I read this:

Thank you.
Tell us again what year this is for...?
Somehow I missed that part.
'67/'68 Wheels require a different horn cap support 'can' than '69/'72s.
Harder to find, but I think Truck And Car Shop of Orange CA has them.
Otherwise the wheels all fit the same.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
Davidf

I went the 15” wheel route (w/ps) and am happy I did…makes getting in and out of the seat easier. The smaller wheel does block my view of the gauges somewhat, but not bad. Took a bit getting used to as well. Only improvement I would make is less texture…sort of feels like I am holding a cheese grater at times.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:43 PM   #16
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
I appreciate the shout, my friend.

...Anyway, -- to get over the sideslap from the Armstrong when that Beast ''came about'' I sheathed the spokes and circumferance of the wheel in 1/2'' black rubber foam ''Piping Insulation [DonkeyDick]'' and taped it all around with black friction tape.
With a padded Three Spoke, I was rockin' the turns like Steamboat Willie.

@ steamboat willie
Yeah but when you have a 4wd with big tires, and offroading, you really don't want manual steering( when tires get stuck in a rut)

Quote:
I did not recommend a smaller wheel for manual steering, that would be ridiculous. Just pointing out the different size wheel I know of. Stock size two spoke reproduction wheels also available, never had one. Some have said they are more flexible than stock ones.
Apologize to OP for intrusion, for those looking for the 15' wheel. one of my go to sites https://www.classicparts.com/1969-72...tinfo/32-426L/ Available in other colors as well, listed separately. Just search.
No intrusion at all Richard, threads meandering a bit is how I've learned about half of the modifications I'd like to do.
And what you said about the repro wheels being "flexible" is exactly why I'll take a haggard old wheel first. My truck is a beat old driver, a cracked wheel will look just fine.

Quote:
Tell us again what year this is for...?
Somehow I missed that part.
'67/'68 Wheels require a different horn cap support 'can' than '69/'72s.
Harder to find, but I think Truck And Car Shop of Orange CA has them.
Otherwise the wheels all fit the same.
Apparently I never said, it is a 1972 C3500. But I will probably not be assembling the horn button assembly, even if it's complete and functional. They're too fragile and I can just use an aftermarket little button. I always found factory horn buttons to be difficult to disassemble/reassemble...and when I need to get that wheel off, it just slows me down.

Thanks for all the info. ya'll.