The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Project 1985 Western Hauler "Heavy Hauler"

Well, I was already looking for another project to start on after my '84 Choo Choo Custom was done.
I was thinking of a K5 or 4x4 Suburban. I was going though Craiglist looking for Conversion Crew Cabs,
when this add cought my attention

"1985 chevrolet 3500 3+3 - $500"

"I have a Chevrolet 3+3 3500 I am parting out no motor or trans I have got 4 good doors
a good rearend Dana 70 4:10 ratio some interior a rearseat that folds into a bed
this truck was a western hauler so it has got some nice wood work in it
just shoot me an email it's all cheap"

Well i though what the heck might be worth shot for some ideas on wood work for the '84.
Emailed the Seller, 2 hours later i got the first pics of it.
I was in love, i just got have, after some talking back and forward.
Fellow member DBLSPRT68 offed me to go an look at it for me, didnt want me to buy something that was a rust bucket
and spend alot of cash on shipping. David got back with some great pics and it turn out its in sweet condition
He even found a very nice Suburban at this guys place he trade his trailer for.
Only has some Rust in the Firewall and Driver side Rocker. It was sold on the spot.
After some talking i could keep it at his place until January when im going to have it shipped overseas.

I know i could have gotten a nicer and better condition truck but that was not what i wanted.

The truck is a 1986 C30 3+3 use to have 454 and TH400 came of the ST Louis Assembly Plant in 1986.
Western Hauler Conversion and Has been used as a House transport.
it has been in Mississippi all its life from what i can tell from Carfax report i got and once in 09/23/1998 Savannah, TN
and then had title issued on 02/12/1999 in Rienzi, MS

My plans for it:

New Brakes Pads, Shoes, hoses, lines, wheels cylinder, seals and if need Roters and drums.
New Windshield.
Left Rocker Replaced.
New Halogen Headlights.
All Bushings will be replaced with new Polyureathen.
New Tie-Rods, Ball Joints, Idler Arms.
Stock Dually Bed with in bed 5th wheel Hitch.
Painless Wiring.
Build 454 bored over to 502 CUI will be build by myself.
Multi Port Fuel Injection.
Megasquirt as Engine Control Mangement with wiring by myself.
Build TH400 Tranny will be build by myself.
Ground Effects from a G-Van (Transcar 2000) (front bumper, Running Boards and Fender Flares) Modefied to Fit a Crew Cab.
Air Bag Suspension for Better Ride quality and for a drop of like 6/8.5.
Lund Race Back going to move the duck tail soiler to the end of the race back.
Dakota Digital Gauges.
Repaint it Red and Kind of Airbrush work on the side just like Red Truck in the pictures.

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
GmtGmt

Re: Project 1985 Western Hauler "Heavy Hauler"

Oh Yeah Fold down Rear seat into Bed

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Matt Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post

Oh Yeah Fold down Rear seat into Bed

Man i would love to pick up a special edition truck and restore it back to stock. Nice find GMT
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
Man i would love to pick up a special edition truck and restore it back to stock. Nice find GMT
yeap they are cool and diffrent not your everyday crew cab.
many of the owners i have talked to says they are like riding a in a caddy with some of the interiors

Quote:
Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
GmtGmt

Just Scored some real nice Ground effects at work they where for a volvo c30 but will make the sides fit the cab and have a original front spoiler i think it would look good

Quote:
Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
palposity

Wow--very ambitious project you have going! I can't wait to see how it comes out!
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
DBLSPRT68

Can't wait to see what you can do with this also. That's my new Suburban in those pics. Glad I could help you out! David
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
david&GOLIATH

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified item. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by truckdude239; 03-19-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: wtb
david&GOLIATH is offline   Reply With Quote