The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Meatysdad

Meatwagon, a work in progress.

Got this truck as a gift from my son, he surprised me last Christmas (2010) by handing me a card with the keys and title.

Over the years, we've played with several trucks, from a 57 to an 85 with several 64's, but never finished one like we wanted.

He knew I was looking for one, but really couldn't justify buying one with a kid still at home and the economy in the dumper, so him being a single sailor, with money to burn, he bought it and hauled it home to me from VA.

Its an 86 GMC High Sierra, short box, and fun as the dickens to drive.
Came from the factory with the 305 TBI, but all thats long gone.

Since it came into my hands, I've slowly and I do mean slowly, been making the changes I want, and changing ideas mid stream more than once.

I changed out the rims, installed a 350 crate motor, new seats, and a few other mods, but still got miles to go.

Just thought I'd share.
Attached Images

Meatysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Meatysdad

Re: Meatwagon, a work in progress.

Few pics of the heart transplant. Pictures are a bit fuzzy, took with the cell phone.

Plans are to change it to serpentine belt system in the near future, so I haven't hooked up A/C.

Installed some buckets out of a (dare I admit ) 04 Ford Exploder, which were easy to install after I robbed the floor mounts out of a Surburban. I had bought seats and center console out of a 87 Jimmy, but discovered the floor pans were different, so we changed up again. Kept the console, scrapped the seats and brackets.

The original behind the seat tray was cardboard and falling apart, so a little wood butchering with luan plywood made a nice rear tray and gave me a place to install speakers.

I make leather holsters, and have decided to make my own covers for the door arm rest, pics in future.

Who knows where this will go, but it will be a slow build cause I can't make myself park it. Too fun to drive, and I enjoy seeing the 20 something crowd wince when they see a gray haired old man blowing their doors off when they jump on it with the Honda's and Accuras.
Attached Images

Meatysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
ghettoluxury

Looks kike a very nice project, you have a good kid.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Meatysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
Looks kike a very nice project, you have a good kid.
I'm right proud of him, he's on his second enlistment in the Navy, stationed in Norfolk Va.

He just finished up a 11 month cruise, came home for 6 days and left yesterday headed back to VA, taking his 66 C20 back with him.

In June, the wife, his younger brother and I will travel up there and bring back a 85 shortbed pickup he aquired for said younger brother who will turn 16 in November.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

welcome,as long as your comfy....
i used burb seats in a jimmy,with some drillin should work for you the other way

a guy in a mall here,
does leather work i asked him to make me a holster for my I phone"sure come back in two weeks"
guess he forgot,didn't remember ......
shoulder holster
i would think it could be marketable
something to wear under a coat,or over a shirt,an "I holster" ?
dam ,should i have patented that first? lol
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote