The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
mike allsbrook

87 dual tank prob

Hello I'm new here and hoping I can find some solution to my problem with 1987 c10,it has dual tank system throttle body fi v8.....I have no power to the tank selection dash switch,4 wire switch...truck will not run,tries to start and dies no power,figured I would replace selectee switch same deal,checked for 12v at pigtail ,none with key to on position...connector has 4 wires...a black b grey c tan white d tan..I think black would be a ground? What wire should be 12 v when ign switch at on and where is it supplied from,any help would be appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
mike allsbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
mike allsbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike allsbrook View Post
Hello I'm new here and hoping I can find some solution to my problem with 1987 c10,it has dual tank system throttle body fi v8.....I have no power to the tank selection dash switch,4 wire switch...truck will not run,tries to start and dies no power,figured I would replace selectee switch same deal,checked for 12v at pigtail ,none with key to on position...connector has 4 wires...a black b grey c tan white d tan..I think black would be a ground? What wire should be 12 v when ign switch at on and where is it supplied from,any help would be appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
mike allsbrook

Re: 87 dual tank prob

I have also checked all fuses,can't find anything on power distribution....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
44th Miss Inf

My wiring to my switch is pink, black, lt green and dark green. The pink goes to ignition hot, black to ground, then greens thru firewall to tank selector. By that, I would check you grey to see if it goes to a key on source in the fuse block and check the black has a good ground. Double check your wiring though, but I'm thinking your grey should be your "hot" wire
Posted via Mobile Device
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
mike allsbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf View Post
My wiring to my switch is pink, black, lt green and dark green. The pink goes to ignition hot, black to ground, then greens thru firewall to tank selector. By that, I would check you grey to see if it goes to a key on source in the fuse block and check the black has a good ground. Double check your wiring though, but I'm thinking your grey should be your "hot" wire
Posted via Mobile Device
Appreciate it bro,just got off phone width my local dealership and parts guy is going to try to find me a schematic,everything I have found shows dif color wires at tank select switch...I'm getting closer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
44th Miss Inf

Sorry, forgot 87 has pumps in the tank, and my truck doesn't

This should be the proper schematic for the 87 I believe
By this grey goes to right side of selector, tan to left and tan/ white to fuel pump relay/fuel module
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Your motors dying because the fuel pump isn't engaged.

With TBI, the switch isn't always on left or right like a carbed motor...it just should toggle left or right and then come back to it's resting position.

In these trucks, 99% of the time, black wires are ground.

The diagram 44th posted looks correct, post back to say if you've figured it out.

If you have access to a Haynes manual, buy one.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote