The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
chevybill

Question What brand hand tools do you recommend?

I need to invest in a few more metric tools and I have somewhat lost my faith in craftsman in the past 24 months.

I have been looking at S K as an alternative.

Snap On is simply too expensive for my budget, however I want good quality that I can pass on to my son or daughter, which ever one may want them later on.

Alternatives to craftsman along with links please.

Thanks.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
ed455
Captain Ed

Re: What brand hand toools do you recommend?

Since I no longer have weekly access to a tool truck like I did in my mechanicin' days, I bought Kobalt (Lowes brand) for a while but then they changed manufacturers and the quality isn't as good. Now I buy what's available at Home Depot and sometimes Lowes. HD has the Husky professional line which is OK, and Lowes has Gearwrench (the original) which is nice. Craftsman is the last resort before stooping to Harbor Freight.

I LOVE the quality of Snap-On but I learned first hand how greedy a company they are (but that's another story). I bought a lot of Matco when I turned wrenches and at the time Mac was nearly as expensive as Snap-On. Occasionally I see a Cornwell truck around here. At one time, they were the best tools for the price. But I have'n looked at Cornwell tools in YEARS.

I always tell people to look for "made in USA" and see how the tools feel in your hand. Craftsman have always been the chunkiest, least comfortable wrenches and ratchets, but there was a time when they were the best thing going for the money. Their ratchets are now CRAP! And the wrenches fit so loose that I'm afraid they'll ship.

1999 C3500 LS 7.4L
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
ghetto_superman

yes i couldnt believe the lack of quality on a BRAND new craftsman toolset that was bought for my soon to be brother in law.. the ratchet wouldnt even catch! you had to put pressure on the switch just to get it to ratchet!! WTF!! otherwise ive used snap on and S-K.. dont know much about S-K currently, but the older stuff is good. whenever i have to buy new stuff i hope to get S-k.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Bill, why do you not like the sears line any more?
Granted, all my craftsman wrenches are 10 years old or so, with the odd one replaced here and there over the years... but dollar wise, they are a hell of a value, and I use craftsman sockets, extentions, and my metric wrenches.... every day at work.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
chevybill

The sears merger with K mart really has me concerned about craftsman quality, with them adding a "professional" line recently that makes me think the regular craftsman line may be going down, nothing really concrete. It just my "feelings" about craftsman.
All my tools are at least 5 years old. I have had some problems with 3/8 drive ratchets with craftsman, but nothing major.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Chris4x4Gill2

I use mainly craftsman as well. They dont compare to the snap on my grandad never got around to giving me (stupid thieves!) but for the money I havent been able to beat them
Chris4x4Gill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Sillyoldman

I have been raised on Craftsmen tools. Most of my stuff is 20 years old or so. I do recall in the day Sears had Craftsmen tools, and they had Sears tools. The Sears tools which did not carry the brand name were garbage. I did trade in a 3/4" ratchet for a new one. I used it as a hammer too many times. I don't like the replacement. The new one takes about a 1/8th turn for it to ratchet a tooth. My old one would have clicked at least four times in the same movement.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
ghetto_superman

maybe its just an urban myth, but doesnt craftsman refurb a lot of stuff? or does everybody else that has a warranty do that as well...?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I use SK tools religiously. That was the name on the first set, that I got as a kid and from there I have expanded. I have some MAC Tools and they stood up well, but the SK ratchets, sockets, screwdirvers, and hammers are made of a good quality and are warrantied just like SNAP-ON, but without the large price. I can purchase SK tools at a couple of local places and I don't have to hunt down the Snappy dealer and his truck, either.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
project1971

We are lucky to have a cornwell dealer that comes by once a week. Great tools for the price. The craftsman rachets to me are the best, the gears are course and you have to move it too much to catch the next tooth and i have had many slip. I try not to use too many hand ratchets but their 1/4 inch ones are JUNK. Got a phonalic (sp) no name brand one at a local parts store for $7 that has real fine teeth that is great. haven't seen a MAC truck in probably 6-7 years, matco in 4-5 years. I have gotten quite a bit at local pawn shops, since there are so many dealerships here (i think 8-10 in 1 mile) that they get alot in from time to time.
2000 Cavalier z24 (gas saver)
project1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
cdowns

the problem with tools sold off of trucks is WHERES THE TRUCK when you need a broken tool replaced??? i stick with craftsman cause every time i look the sears stores are very easy to find. lots of my tools are 3rd generation and still work fine / i tend to buy the professional grade in the polished stainless nowadays tho // for the price and ease of replacement for a doityerselfer sears is very hard to beat
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
bowtiedude

My good hand tools are a mixture of Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, and Cornwell. Snap-on has their Blue-Point line stiil good stuff much cheaper.The Snap-On dealer I use is more than accomadating. I also have a set or 2 of generic wrenches. I do not feel guilty about taking a torch and altering them. It is also nice if I have to repair something in the middle of a field.I refuse to use anything but a quality ratchet, I've lost far too much blood to settle for anything less. I keep the good stuff in the shop, and have the generic stuff in the truck.
'69 K20 Chevy 406 4spd
'70 K10 Chevy 355 4spd 6 inch lift
'70 C-20 (son's truck) originally 292 4spd now a 350 4spd

Hey I didn't even want to until you told me I couldn't !
bowtiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #13
Shane
Account Suspended

Proto - some of the nicest ratchets I have ever owned. Purchased them second hand ... 72 tooth gear ... makes for a very very smooth ratchet action.

The government recently threw SnapOn out and went with Proto for it's military mechanics ... or so I have been told.

Keep an eye on Ebay for Proto and Cornwell ... a LOT less money than MAC, SnapOnor Matco with comparable quality.

I agree with cdowns when it comes to Craftsman. Their professional grade stuff is pretty dang nice for the money. I stay away from their ratchets and the clear handled screwdrivers. Their sockets and pro series box-end / combination wrenches are still good enough for me as a weekend warrior. But I do agree that the quality on their ratchets is much less than what it once was.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

For Christmas I got a new Craftsman tool set. I personally like it and like others have said, you can't beat them for the price, especially for someone who isn't going to be using them on a daily basis.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
BIGCHEVYMAN

I do turn wrenches for a living and about 50% of my tools are crafstman. I do like the cornwell, they are good quality tools. prices aren't to bad.

You can keep that snap on stuff, they are great tools but there prices are CRAZY. I mean come on $500 for a 12 peice set of wrenches.

Edd mentioned Kobalt. they actually make snap on wrenches. I the new kobalt and the snap-on are identical even the the part numbers on the wrenches are the same.

I love s&k tools they are just hard to get warrantied.

Mac and Matco are good tools but there prices are very close to snap-on prices.

I am a firm beliver in craftsman tools they never give me any hassle about broken tools. Yes they do refurbish ratchets, i know that for a fact.
When i break something i just stop by sears on the way home and get a new one.

I am a yard sale tool shopper. That is one of my hobbies i look for odd and old tools all the time. I might start a post and show some of the cool tools i have found.

I still use my grandfathers craftsman ratchet every day it just feels great in my hands and i have rebuilt it a few times but the kit is always free.
BIGCHEVYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I have Craftsman and S&K
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

I use all crafstman beacause of the price they are all good tools except for their ratchets
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
Aarons72s

me craftsman sockets and snap on ratchets. Best of both worlds. Yes craftsman ratchets now arent worth anything. I really dont like craftsmans new sockets, laser etched, I cant read them like the old stamped ones. Kobalt is just relabled craftsman sockets. The old Kobalt sockets a few years back were made by snap on for kobalt and are real great quality if you can find them used. That ismy thoughts on hand tools
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Sillyoldman

I've never heard of a refurbished ratchet tool. Would'nt that be less cost effective than handing out a new one? I can say that one time I broke a ratchet, and they gave me a rebuild kit.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #20
Old Dave
Is a bullfrog waterproof?

I have a mixture of S-K (35 yrs old) and craftsman. I have two Craftsman fine tooth rackets, a 1/2" and 3/8" flex head but I usually grab the S-K. My dad had a S-K 3/8" ratchet that is probably 50 yrs old that I have now just because it was his and I wouldn't let it be sold at the auction. Not too many place sell S-K now days but they are damn good tools.

Ben Franklin

1st two are My son's toys...they just live in my garage!
1997 GMC K1500 Suburban
1993 S-10 Blazer 4D (youngest son's daily driver)
2000 Dodge Ram 4WD Ext. Cab (5.9L)
Wife is a late year 1951
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #21
Igotachevyor2
Apache Club

every one has their opinon on whats the best and whats not but i have turned wrenches for the past 13 years till now this is my first desk job (still not used to it) but quality i have to say snap on is the best with mac and matco next followed by cornwell<--you have to watch this one some stuff they sell has no warranty make sure the name is on the tool

s&k are vary good tools but some times hard to find a vendor

black hawk, proto,westward these are all good 2nd choice tools
i havnt bought craftsman since i was 16 and got tired of skinning my nuckles

when you look at your tools if you are a weekend warrior almost any thing will do but if you use these tools to make a living dont skimp on cheaper less quality tools your nuckles will thank you

if you want to see one of the differences in quality snap on wrenches are expensive but the box end is degreed at i think 15 degrees so that in a tight spot you can flip it and get another turn try that with craftsman their is no specific degree

again every one has a opinon and this is mine but if you want to leave somthing for your kids and grandkids look at the quality as well as the price

good luck
Igotachevyor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #22
Old Dave
Is a bullfrog waterproof?

The few Snap-On tools that I own I really like and I found them along or in the road. They're good, but they are sure expensive.

Ben Franklin

1st two are My son's toys...they just live in my garage!
1997 GMC K1500 Suburban
1993 S-10 Blazer 4D (youngest son's daily driver)
2000 Dodge Ram 4WD Ext. Cab (5.9L)
Wife is a late year 1951
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

I have all Craftsmen in my toolbox and a Craftsmen toolbox, and I can't really complain about the tools much. For the money, you can't beat them. Although if I'm working on something with rusty nuts and bolts, I always run for a Snap-On 12pt. wrench. They fit 5 times tighter in the box end than the Craftsman 6pts. do, and they are way more comfortable. I have a long handle Craftsmen "professional" 3/8 ratchet, and it isn't worth it's weight in cowsh*t. I used it once and chipped half the gears out of it. I haven't returned it yet, havent been to sears for 3 or 4 months now.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I have lots of Craftsman,my brother gave me some Napa,Snap-On and some Mac stuff.I use the Napa stuff the most.I guess I am afraid to get grease on my Snap-On stuff.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 01-16-2007 at 11:11 PM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #25
Crank

SHANE>>> Well in my shop, we use Snap On tools and my aircraft program is about as brand new as they get, I work on the V-22 Osprey Tiltrotor and some of the tools in our boxes are off the wall, but I see the "Snap On Government" truck drive around the flight line all the time... Possibly Motor Transport uses some other brand, but we use Snap On as well as any other Aviation squadron i know of.

As for me, I use Craftsmen, cuz I know where to take them back to when I got a broke tool, I move around a lot and you never know what type of tool companies will be big in the area you are moving to. I'd like to eventually get a shop back home and start getting some decent tools by a reputable name... BUT>>>> Personally, I've just about come to the conclusion that Snap Ons patent ran out on their ratchet or something, because about a year ago, DURALAST, AutoZone brand, has been producing a ratchet that is identical to Snap On's and cost tremendously less, looks and workes exactly the same, and has a take it back if you break it warranty.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote