The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
chevy72blu

Junk yard cooling system?

I need to find a radiator and electric fan setup for my LS1 swap.

I found a set of fans and the stock radiator out of a 98 F body. I assume the fans will work fine, but will the radiator fit? I am not sure of dimensions, but people seem to be using 31x19x3 universals.

I have also heard good things about the Lincoln Mark VIII fans (around $100 + shipping on ebay) as well as the Taurus 3.8 fans which seem to be quite a bit cheaper. These folks make a plug and play relay kit: http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII

As for radiators, im still at a loss. I am running a bone stock LS1 with A/C in the SW heat. Anyone know of a good/cheap/OEM unit that has the hoses on the correct side and a steam provision?
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Junk yard cooling system?

A radiator shop can silver solder the right size hose connections & steam line fitting on your stock radiator.

The Mark VIII & Town Car 2 speed fans are pretty good.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
chevy72blu

I ignorantly sold two radiators (stock copper and an unused aluminum griffin) because I wasnt aware that that the driver side outlet could be used...

I'm going to give the F body setup a shot. I'll let everyone know how it works out.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

A few years ago I bought a stock style aluminum radiator from a local shop. I want to say it was about $175. I put it in a 2wd big block 71. Ran fine but I sold it so I dont have a long term reviews...

Kool Radiator
3228 Meade Ave
Las Vegas, NV

For the fan, I read the Grand Cherokee thread a couple times. It was a single speed 19" fan that fit perfectly in the factory fan shroud. Well I found an upgrade, as in a dual speed fan from the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It seems to be a 1 year only as they changed in 2005... Im going to try and reuse the factor shroud for now...

There are a could trucks like ours being parted out on CL in Vegas, so see if anyone has a radiator. I know the LS1 F-Body fans will fit the factory radiator...

My radiator and core support are on the other side of town or I could get some measurements for you....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote