The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Avidyn

83 C10 LWB "Squard"

So, I've been posting in the other forums for awhile now with various little projects. Figured it was time to start a build thread.

Bought an '83 LWB C10 for $400. 305/350 2wd. Had been sitting for a few years. Gas was bad, and the mechanical fuel pump had long gone. Took a couple days after work, a weekend, and an edelbrock to ger her tuned up well enough to drive home. Here's a few pictures before I got her to my house.

Took a little while to get it running, found out that the balancer had spun. So, the wires on the distributor were one spot off. Once I got them back on, I got her home. Started to clean it up a little bit. Cleaned up the engine compartment, got rid of the AC system that was broken, painted some parts and swapped on some Chevy dress up parts.

As of now, it's sitting at my previous house waiting to be moved. So, I'm working on the interior and the engine that I got.
Here's a few shots of what I've done on the interior so far.
Filled the dash cracks with foam, sanded, then covered with fleece and fiberglassed. It's been "mudded" and sanded but don't have pictures yet.

Took out my headliner. Peeled off the "sag" and glue. Glassed the foam/board for strength. Then added a underdash stereo mount and two 6.5" speaker pods. Here's a couple pictures of that. It's also been "mudded" and sanded but not pics yet.

I've started on the door panels, but haven't made enough progress to warrant any pictures. Here's what I'm going for though. Without the speakers on the lower panel.

Also, picked up a 2003 Silverado 5.3 LM7 for $150 from CL. Had low oil pressure when I picked it up and ran rough. The PO had installed a new oil pump thinking that was the problem. After tearing it down, not the case at all. Had bad 707 "castech" heads that had gummed up the whole engine. Luckily now extreme wear or over heating. Here's a few pictures during tear down.

Ordered some 862 heads from ebay. Got them for $170 shipped. Couldn't complain about that.

Once I got more into the engine (Cam removal) I found out the real culprit for the low oil pressure. THe 2nd cam bearing had decided to walk a little bit.

Got the little guy out after a little determination.

I must say, I got LUCKY!! No cam damage and no journal damage either. Yay!!

Here's where the motor sits now, ready for the machine shop. Going to get cam bearings pulled, hot tanked, washed, new cam bearings installed, and a final check on things done. Should be taking it down there the beginning of next week. Keeping my fingers crossed nothing else comes up!

So, there it is for now. I've got some good plans for it (I think). 4/6 drop, front and rear pans, custom interior, new two-tone paint, and possibly some new camaro wheels. I'll post my updates as soon as I've got them. Any feedback is always welcomed!
Avidyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Re: 83 C10 LWB "Squard"

Very cool that you got that bearing out before it damaged anything....looks like it will be a nice build!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Avidyn

So, got a little bit done recently. Went to finally bring it home. And... no start. Lots of no starting. Getting fuel, good compression, no spark. New ICM, coil, cap, and rotor. Still no spark. Traced it to the pickup coil. Didn't want to mess with it when I can buy a GM Performance HEI for $64. But, until I do.... I decided to borrow from my 68 Camaro since it's already torn apart at the moment.

MSD Pro Billet Dist.

MSD 6AL Ignition Box
MSD Blaster Coil

Nevermind the wiring, I'll get it all cleaned up once I get it home.

I do have some questions though. For some reason I can't get this thing to time out right. Maybe it's my timing light, but it shows 18* advance at TDC. The dist that I have is an older 8555 without a vac advance. If I try to rotate the dist to retard it, I can hear the weights hitting the cap when I get closer. Any thoughts on what might be going on?
Avidyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

I hope you keep those Centerline rims!

I now have a set of those on my '79 and I love them!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote