The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #1
LS short box

Crashed Toys Inc or Copart Inc.

Some what locally there is a couple Crashed Toys auction yards. They seem to be part of Copart Inc.
I'm looking at a winter project rebuilding a side by side for a winter project. I know there aren't any warranties on the projects.
If anyone has purchased a car, truck or ATV rebuilder what were the fees above the agreed bid price? I know in MN I have to pay MN sales tax but does Crashed Toys tack on auction fees and how much?
I called the local yard and they sent me to the "head quarters" and I really couldn't get a straight answer.
Any help would be great.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:53 PM   #2
mrtoni

Re: Crashed Toys Inc or Copart Inc.

I think you need a dealers license. Could be wrong
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

All the Copart's around here require a Salvage license. They won't even sell to Dealers
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
1slo64

You either needs a business license or you go through a broker unless the auction specifically states that it is a no license required lot. Broker charges a percentage of the sale on top of the fees that Copart adds. Last time I looked at a broker it was minimum of $300 or 10% of sale price. May be the same in other states but I know in Alabama you also need to have a rebuilders license to have a salvage title vehicle inspected to receive a rebuilt title.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you need to look if you need a license then theres tons of fees involved including a gate fee a commission basically a car i bid $350 cost me $700 and now they want you to get a membership ( plus fee) to bid or use a broker they own to scam you more total ripoff and also there are people who bid on their stuff crazy prices to export to third world countries where they can sell for big big money

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
joedoh

yes what ORC10 says is true. there are a stupid amount of "fees" before you can even bid, and added after you bid. They charge you a "lot fee" if you have the nerve to pick up yourself and not use their overpriced shipper. I ran through some scenarios with my brother and it could add almost 25% to your purchase price to pay all the registration and bidding and lot fees.

years ago there was a competing auction site (Qbids?) to ebay and their model was to put brand new stuff up (they themselves) starting at a penny. bidders usually won the item for 10-20% off the retail BUT, it cost a couple pennies just to bid. so if a thousand people were bumping the prices at 2-5c a bid... the company was making money like crazy.

in addition, any online auction that does proxy bids without regulation (like ebay is regulated, the bid is the bid) you will see your proxy bid go quietly to the max almost right away, so that they can maximize their money, best method is to either bid once at your max or bid in increments without a max. I did online bidding on a local auction house website and the final bids, on something legitimately no one else should be interested in, were 50c less than my max, and the whole time there is a notification saying "someone else is bidding! Increase your bid!"

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
<snip>...
best method is to either bid once at your max or bid in increments without a max.
...<snip>
This. I helped a friend auction his Dad's estate. Everything went as expected until the final lot: the house and the land. The bidding opened and a guy that hadn't been seen until this point bid something like 300k ( a fair price ). Nobody else bid.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
LS short box

A buddy of mine used to have a Polaris/Honda dealership for over 30 years and I talked him in to going with me to the Crashed Toys place. We looked over the side by sides for sale and said with the damage shown he said I'm might save 10% fixing it myself. He advised me not to buy. Too much risk of shown damage and unknown damage.
Thanks for replies.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote