The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Blue666

Ever made shifter rods?

I have an NPA833-MY6 four speed OD in my 66 SWB. The trans came with the Hurst shifter and one rod. I made up two rods out of 1/2" all thread. The last time I drove it, the trans wants to pop out of 3 and OD when you let off the gas, I am not sure if it's the trans or the rods.

Does anyone else make their own rods? How difficult & do you need to heat treat? What's a good source for the ends parts? Are spherical rods ends worth the extra money for this work?

Any help, clues or suggestions, greatly appreciated. Thanks
Blue666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
awitate

Re: Ever made shifter rods?

Wow, I have the same tranny! I installed a new shifter but 1 of the older rods was too short. Since i don't weld i needed a solution. I remembered seeing a mr.gasket shifter @ advanced auto parts for like $50. I bought it took one of those rods and bent it to shape. I didn't heat it as per instructions just used 2 monkey wrenches. So far so good. I drive in town not many miles but tons of stop and go shifting.
Posted via Mobile Device
awitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
awitate

I forgot to mention that i was having a similar problem for 1st & 2nd slipping out/not engaging. Turns out I needed to add a lock nut and lock washer to that part on the tranny that connects to the rod. Haven't had that problem since.
Posted via Mobile Device
awitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
awbrown

I used to have a bin of old rods ,I used to bend and weld them together for projects , just have to make sure the limiting bolts on the shifter are all the way out (if it has a bolt on the front and rear of the shifter housing with a nut on them back them off) you may be up against the stop and it may not be all the way into the gear ...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
newagecustom
c10 Chop Artist

I made a shift rod on my old harley shovelhead. Used solid cold rolled round, drilled the center and tapped it. Then used some small heims on the ends. Worked for lots of miles.
Posted via Mobile Device
newagecustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Heres one I made for my transfer case. I took 2 fine thread 3/8" bolts and cut off the heads. Then welded them into a 1/2" tube. I think it looks better than a piece of allthread.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure allthread is around grade 2 in strength, and may flex or bend enough to either cause engagement problems, or fail completely at some time when you least expect it. I bought several Indy Shifters on close out for $5 each back in the 70's, and kept the rods off any other junk and factory shifters that came into my possession. This stash has always provided something that would work when I came up with an odd combination. From my few attempts to cut or thread them, most of what I've encountered have been grade 8, which is going to be hard to duplicate by any home process.

Hurst also offers a variety of rods, but they aren't cheap. You might get lucky and find something that fits perfectly:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...t%20rods&dds=1

If the rod you need is relatively straight I'd try the tubing/bolts/heim joint idea if spare rods cannot be sourced.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Blue666

I am watching on mrracing.com for rods & also on ebay. Hate to buy a new set to hack & bend but Summit/Jegs sell a Hurst Comp Plus install kit that has rods, ends & all the little doo dads. It's $135.00 plus s/h.

Found these pics on a Corvette site. Some guys are putting the MY6 into C1's. I may try to add a 1/2" steel plate between my shifter mount plate & the trans to reduce the angle. I think this may help reduce any flexing do to non standard rods. What do you think?

Have not yet tried to check with a Chevy dealer to see if the rods can still be ordered. I have not seen them for sale at the driveline.com or the other online trans supply houses. Does any one work in a Chevy Parts room?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
Blue666

Sorry, Here are the pic's
Attached Images