The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

Ideas for 75 Jimmy

I have a 75 Jimmy I am about to start a complete customizing on. It is already dropped 4/6+ static but when its all done will be on air. One of the ideas I was wanting input on has to do with the doors and bedsides. Anyone who has had or has noticed on these year models the door is just slightly higher than the sides behind the door. I know it would be hard to do either way but could the rear quarters be built up slightly to make them even with the doors and maybe taper them towards the tailgate slightly so that would not have to be modified. Before you mention about the top not fitting back properly this will be a full time convertible when it is done so the top wont come into play

Also I think I know my answer but to get your opinions......keep the older front end or upgrade to the newer style? This project will be starting in a month or so just trying to get my ideas organized for now. I have been thinking about this for a few years now and for some reason I have not gotten started on it. Maybe if I quit buying and selling other rides I could get it done this time

Brad
1975 GMC Jimmy 2WD lowered 4/6
1972 Chevy Trazer soon to be roadster
1965 Mustang 289/3 speed (friends dad bought it new)
1964 Chevy C10 (dad bought it new)
ItsNotABlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
BabyBlue
The Peacemaker

Well, you can do what my dad did with his 72' 2wd blazer and just take the glass out of the doors fill them and shave them down to the level of the bedsides, theres a picture of the body in the 69-72 blazer/jimmy forum....and as for the newer front end...everyone does that with the full top blazer/jimmy so I would say keep the old front end.
BabyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Brad,
I would build up the quarters to meet the doors. I don't think it would be terribly hard to do. Then I would use a pickup tailgate, relocate the handle inside, and smooth it out and raise the top of that. A pickup gate is a bolt on deal, if you get all of the hardware. That's what I have done on mine. I guess you will get to see it next weekend.

On the front, I plan on keeping the old style stuff, for two reasons. 1) it is easier, as you don't have to cut the cowl, and 2) because it is not as common. I ike the look, and have picked up a cowl hood as well. Should end up being pretty cool.

Also, were you still interested in the top I had too? I couldn't remember, and it is still sitting here too.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Gregsmx

Brad, boy, those are some great suggestions so far. If you keep the original front end, I would suggest smoothing the fender turn signal lights in front of the wheel opening.

Also, smooth the lower fender crease where the original bright metal molding went from vertical to turning towards the wheel well. Let the vertical crease taper to nothing. It's a little hard to explain, but it softens the 'bluntness' of the front fender. It's a subtle change but it changes the look of the front quite a bit. I did this on my fenders.

Also, since your lowering, I've often wondered what the fenders would look like with the wheel well opening redone to style to the size of tire. Instead of a 'rectangular' opening, more of an 'oval' or tapered opening.

Good luck with it!
Greg.

Here's the website I'm uploading pics to: Greg's frame off project
Gregsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:52 AM   #5
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

Well I am almost certainly keeping the original front end and maybe just add a billet grille, cut the front of the frame down so bumper fits more snugly, possibly a cowl hood (not sure yet). Greg I am pretty sure I know what you are referring to with the fender crease and thats another thing I had thought about having done. Something else I thought about on the fenders is similar to what Greg mentioned. I will keep that one to myself for now until I get an idea on how it will affect with turning radius lol. Another interior mod I have planned is a smoothed 95 model dash but use Autometer gauges and maybe mount switches behind a smoked glass where the stereo/ac controls go. Also on the tailgate from a truck being used.......I thought the Blazer gates were thicker than a truck gate?

Jon I was going to use the top you have on the K5 I bought but since I have decided to make the Jimmy a fulltime convertible I can use the top from it. I may know someone who might can use it though. I am hoping I get the parts to finish the air ride on the 95 in time to make it down there Friday to Izzy's. If not I will let you know and might come down sometime that next week since I am off work all week.

Brad
Old 03-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

whenever you can make it is fine with me, I should be around. I have the roof here at work, though.

On the pickup gate, it is thinner, as the inside is not laid back to house the rear glass. The outside doesn't have the hump for the window crank, either, so it would be easier to smooth out. I was doing to flip the handle and put my Blazer trim band over the indention in the tailgate, then make a trim panel for the inside to make it all match.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

Jon with it being a thinner tailgate would there be a gap on the inside after you put it on? I have a decent truck tailgate I can use. Maybe since I have a 4 day weekend this week I can trial fit it. Know anyone down there needing a 75 Blazer/Jimmy tailgate? I will most likley use the Jimmy gate on the K5 cause the one off of it is in kinda bad shape. The K5 is not going to be a show truck by any means since I plan to be on the rocks with it when I get it done. Might even go with an exoskeleton cage on it. Friend has a 83ish Toyota with a bobbed bed and exo cage. The cage has saved him from a few major cab scrapes so far lol.

Brad
Old 03-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

the only difference I can tell is in the uphulstery panels there is a notch out for the striker that shows. I was going to make new panels anyhow, so it isn't really a problem. You won't need a 4 day weekent to mount the gate. From start to finish it took me about an hour, including removing the rear bumper and valence to get the hinge springs out.